• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied flycatcher - juvenile or female? [Mönchengladbach, Germany] (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hello,

I took this photo today near Mönchengladbach. Is this a female Pied flycatcher or a juvenile?

Thank you
David

Attachments

• P1140249.jpeg
    P1140249.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • P1140255.jpeg
    P1140255.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
Juvenile pied flycatchers are all spotty/scaly - despite what the books may (fail to) tell you - so it's not one of those. But if it's early enough for it to have moulted (I've no idea), it might be a 1st-winter - though I doubt you'd be able to tell that, in these photos, from an adult female.

Thanks. My Guidebook (Collins) doesn‘t show juvenile plumage and an online image search didn‘t really help a lot.
As this was an really unexpected find (just 1km from my parents house and my father who is interested in birds wasn‘t aware of it) I was asking myself if it‘s just a single a female or if there might have been a breeding pair in the area.

I'd guess it's a bit early for significant post-breeding dispersal, so presence is likely to indicate breeding nearby
You are probably right.

My father will check the area a bit more frequently to see if there are other pied flycatchers around, as this is a bird you don‘t see in many places around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back