• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Martens - Aviemore area RFI (1 Viewer)

Jono L

I have a few nights in the Aviemore area next week (late August).
Speyside Wildlife report that PMs are not visiting their site until after their viewing hide closes. Can anybody recommend any areas I could look for them in and how, ie driving around in the dark with a big light?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks Jono

I have a few nights in the Aviemore area next week (late August).
Speyside Wildlife report that PMs are not visiting their site until after their viewing hide closes. Can anybody recommend any areas I could look for them in and how, ie driving around in the dark with a big light?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks Jono

Nothing to stop you driving up to Loch an Eilean after the Speyside Wildlife hide closes....

Ah. Got it. The cafe with the squirrel gym by the campsite on the ski road. Pine Martens do after hours there. I've never scored principally because the time I tried to stake it out with lumps of Mars bar I fell asleep in the car.

Driving around I would suggest the areas already mentioned, the road that divides the forest edge from the fields to Boat of Garten from the main road (spotlight the fields as well), and from Loch Garten reserve car park (where the feeders attract voles which may attract Pine Martens) to (and including) Nethy Bridge: there are feeders up in various gardens there and I bet Pine Martens visit.

The car park for the Loch Mallachie trail has been known to be a hot spot in the past, I don't have up to date gen.

This is guesswork principally. But night driving is not a bad technique for such things.

Repetitive driving of a concentrated area (I'd consider nearly all the places mentioned to be within one small area) over a few hours is probably better than covering loads of ground just once.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back