• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Martin in Ardnamurchan (1 Viewer)

hampers

Hampers
A couple of years ago myself and a couple of mates stayed at a really good B&B which had pine martin visiting as night. The lady proprietor, Sally, was talking of selling up and moving to New Zealand in the none to distant future. As I can no longer find any reference to the B&B I can only assume she has made the move and good luck to her. This was in May 2015. Has anyone stayed more recently in a B&B in the Ardnamurchan area that has pine martin visiting? Whilst have some great images from the last trip I'd really like another go at them. Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Phil

A couple of years ago myself and a couple of mates stayed at a really good B&B which had pine martin visiting as night. The lady proprietor, Sally, was talking of selling up and moving to New Zealand in the none to distant future. As I can no longer find any reference to the B&B I can only assume she has made the move and good luck to her. This was in May 2015. Has anyone stayed more recently in a B&B in the Ardnamurchan area that has pine martin visiting? Whilst have some great images from the last trip I'd really like another go at them. Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Phil

Yes, we had such a chalet last year, and have booked again for this year. Will come back later with details

Sandra

Thank you but that is self catering, only wanted a couple of nights hence B&B.

Phil

And I'd think not wise to attract Pine Materns to a self-catering place, the next people renting after you might be gamekeepers with a bag of poison. A B&B owner would have control over what they get fed.

Not quite on Ardnamurchan itselt, but not far from the route there, Glenloy Lodge has martens on the conservatory windowsill most evenings and you can stay there B&B when they are not running dedicated wildlife holidays. See: http://glenloywildlife.co.uk/holiday/pine-marten-break/

Very much recommended - we've stayed three times with a great evening show from the martens each time.

Nick

P.S. - you can also just pay to sit in the conservatory in the evening and watch the martens, without using the accommodation, but if you need somewhere to stay, then you might as well stay there anyway.

Last edited:
And I'd think not wise to attract Pine Materns to a self-catering place, the next people renting after you might be gamekeepers with a bag of poison. A B&B owner would have control over what they get fed.

There are already a number of self catering places that say and use the fact they have pine martins.

I only want a couple of nights so of no use to me anyway.

Not quite on Ardnamurchan itselt, but not far from the route there, Glenloy Lodge has martens on the conservatory windowsill most evenings and you can stay there B&B when they are not running dedicated wildlife holidays. See: http://glenloywildlife.co.uk/holiday/pine-marten-break/

Very much recommended - we've stayed three times with a great evening show from the martens each time.

Nick

P.S. - you can also just pay to sit in the conservatory in the evening and watch the martens, without using the accommodation, but if you need somewhere to stay, then you might as well stay there anyway.

Nick
Many thanks.

Phil

One doesn't have to 'attract' them to this place - they'll have been there longer than the chalets!

Sandra, I should have said for this planned trip. Its another location I want to do longer at, one day, so thank you very much. I need the perfect pine martin image!

Regards, Phil

If your visiting date is between 23rd-29th September do get in touch with me again and you can visit and get your perfect image. They come to the decking in front of the chalet during daylight hours.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back