Pine Warbler or Yellow-throated Vireo (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller

I don't like the beak for it being the Vireo. Also, I don't like the rump color. Pine Warbler for me.

Last edited:

cuckooroller

Outboard said:
Thanks. I thought the bill looked too big for a Pine Warbler but wasn't sure.

I am saying the opposite. Beak OK for Pine Warbler, but not for the Vireo which is shorter and stubbier.

Jane Turner

I briefly toyed with the idea of registering for the site, so I could see the pic, but the length of the details page put me off.

AlexC

Opus Editor
Opus Editor
Aw, I wish I could be in the cool club and be able to SEE the BIRD. :hi: Could you maybe post it in this forum, Outboard? Believe me, you'll get a lot more feedback.

Outboard

overworkedirish said:
Aw, I wish I could be in the cool club and be able to SEE the BIRD. :hi: Could you maybe post it in this forum, Outboard? Believe me, you'll get a lot more feedback.

Sorry no can do. It's not my photograph.

jcwings

I couldn't stand it. I had to see it so I registered! My guess is Pine Warbler. Reasons being the length of yellow extending onto the flanks. This is a good mark for Pine. The bill isn't hooked enough or large enough toward the tip (i.e. vireo shaped lower mandible). The clincher, however, is the long tail on this bird. Looking at the photos at the link here:
http://www.roysephotos.com/YellowThrVireo.html
Compare the long primary projection on these vireo shots making the tail appear short, Pine Warbler has a long tail (one of it's key identification characteristics). Compare the line of demarcation where the yellow ends at the breast and does not extend onto the flanks.

Users who are viewing this thread