• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Warbler? Toronto, Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

bicchawla

Canada
I believe this one's a Pine Warbler, but hoping for some confirmation or correction.

Thanks, all.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    891.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
Pine does not have back streaks. It's Blackpoll, note the yellow feet and breast streaks, which separate it from Bay-breasted.

It's not a Pine Warbler but having never seen a Blackpoll, I would go with qwerty cause he knows the birds ;)

Pine does not have back streaks. It's Blackpoll, note the yellow feet and breast streaks, which separate it from Bay-breasted.
Not doubting the id but noting the only feet-like things I can see in these images are black. I can't see them in the first picture (against the light). Those in the 2nd are just above and to right of yew berry. They are black...

Not doubting the id but noting the only feet-like things I can see in these images are black. I can't see them in the first picture (against the light). Those in the 2nd are just above and to right of yew berry. They are black...

I wonder if what looks like streaking in the first photo is just disturbed feathers. I get more of a Bay-breasted feel from this bird.

Somehow the bird in the first photo (Blackpoll for me) looks different from the one in the last photo (Bay-breasted). I agree that the middle two photos show dark feet.

The yellow feet I see are in the first pic, here's a zoomed in screenshot:
Capture.JPG
I too am wondering whether these pictures are all of the same bird.

Last edited:
On the last bird, I'm seeing contrast between the whiter undertail coverts and the duller belly, which indicates Blackpoll.

Many thanks for everyone's input! Here's another photo of the one in the yew tree which seems to clearly show dark feet - Bay-breasted?

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 19
Many thanks for everyone's input! Here's another photo of the one in the yew tree which seems to clearly show dark feet - Bay-breasted?
It appears to be a different bird than photos 1 & 4 above, but dark feet don't necessarily mean Bay-breasted. Blackpoll can have dark feet in the fall (though the soles are always yellow). The white undertail coverts contrasting with the duller flanks and belly make me lean towards Blackpoll for this one as well.

Last edited:
It appears to be a different bird than photos 1 & 4 above, but dark feet don't necessarily mean Bay-breasted. Blackpoll can have dark feet in the fall (though the soles are always yellow). The white undertail coverts contrasting with the duller flanks and belly make me lean towards Blackpoll for this one as well.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back