• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pink-footed/Bean Goose? Hornborga, Sweden (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Seems like I have unknowingly opened a can of worms by irresponsibly photographing "bean geese" in this area, because even after a long discussion in our local birding society, no conclusion was drawn. On the other hand, there are allegedly tens of thousands of Pink-footed Geese in Europe, so someone must know how to ID them, no?

Attached is one image, but if someone is interested, all (unprocessed) images can be found at https://picasaweb.google.com/111445877853994268621/HusyKratkozobe

Attachments

• _husa-kratko.jpg
    _husa-kratko.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for the fast replies! I should probably mention what was the largest cirticism of the ID - the problem of the "Tundra Bean Goose" subspecies of Bean Goose with very similar appearnce and in particular that in these photos, the wings seem quite dark.

I don't think you have to worry about either of these birds being a Tundra Bean, in addition to the differences in bare part colouration and bill shape the wide tailband makes identification as Pink-footed Goose rather straightforward.

Lutzen Portengen

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back