• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit, Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Pavel

Please, help ID. Looked smaller than Tree Pipit (shorter tail).
Record shot from yesterday, 22/04/2021/ in a ploughed field adjacent to Lake Durankulak, NE Bulgaria.

Attachments

• Pipit_OK.jpg
    Pipit_OK.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 72
I must admit, that my first thought was: more pictures please, to confirm this is a Tree Pipit.
But after a second look, I think it is indeed one:
jizz and overall colours are good, smooth, clean and warm pale buffish, whitish-cream tones/hues
quite stout bill for a Meadow Pipit, therfore better for a Tree Pipit, includiing warm,-pinkish lower mandible
head pattern not good for a Tawny Pipit.

answer is there, thanks Lou!

I must admit, that my first thought was: more pictures please, to confirm this is a Tree Pipit.
But after a second look, I think it is indeed one:
jizz and overall colours are good, smooth, clean and warm pale buffish, whitish-cream tones/hues
quite stout bill for a Meadow Pipit, therfore better for a Tree Pipit, includiing warm,-pinkish lower mandible
head pattern not good for a Tawny Pipit.

answer is there, thanks Lou!
Thanks Alexander, unfortunately just one shot, sorry.

Hello Pavel,
with the answer from Lou in the back, it is easy to write the following:
head pattern of your bird with just visible supercilium and whitish spot at the rear ear-coverts (like a broken piece of the supercilium) divided a darker spot, therefore a head-pattern ghosting a Olive-backed Pipit, is a good feature of a Tree Pipit against a Meadow Pipit.
I dont know, if this described head-pattern is out of variation for a Meadow Pipit, but if present, a good indicator for a Tree Pipit.

Yes your bird gives still an open-faced, blend impression, including a quite pale loral area.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back