• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pipit ID from Northern Pakistan (1 Viewer)

gilgit2

I spotted this pipit near some Water Pipits (Anthus spinoletta), yesterday (16 November) at Borith Lake (36°26'6" N 74°51'40" E) in the northern areas of Pakistan.

We usually get numerous Water, with few Buff-bellied Pipits during this time of the year. My first impression was this might be Tree Pipit, but I am bit confused based on the face pattern and streaking above (seems like Meadow Pipit) and also its bit late for Tree Pipits in our area. I am attaching images for all possible angle. Thanks in advance for identification.

Attachments

• 2020-11-16_3H2A9211.jpg
    2020-11-16_3H2A9211.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 2020-11-16_3H2A9229.jpg
    2020-11-16_3H2A9229.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 59
  • 2020-11-16_3H2A9255.jpg
    2020-11-16_3H2A9255.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 2020-11-16_3H2A9268.jpg
    2020-11-16_3H2A9268.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 43

Alexander Stöhr

Hello,
allthough its not good to answer when I have no experience in a certain region (I have only been in Europe), I will post:

Your bird isnt a Tree Pipit:
-most have a prominent supercilium which your bird lacks
-bill is not strong/stout enough
-hind claw seems to long, but this is a bit variable. Caveat: when you look at ID-books, you can get the feeling that this is an easy and failproof character with modern cameras and "cristall-clear-magic"-binoculars, but in the field and many pictures it isnt. Reason? Dont know, one of the points I am still interested in.
-overall colouration is not warm/clean/smooth enough for an ID-book Tree
-flank streaking is to bold for the vast majority of Tree Pipits

Your bird isnt a Red-throated Pipit:
it lacks yellow bill-base (its orange in your bird), lacks bold blop-shaped rounded streaks to breast and flanks (to narrow/wrong shaped in your bird). More it seems to lack dark markings on the visible uppertail-coverts (not sure if this can be judged in these pictures)

Water Pipit/Rock Pipit of europen ssp/species/forms are even less similar.

But your bird looks very good for a Meadow Pipit, everything is there. Overall colouration is variable in Meadow Pipit, ranging friom cold colouless olive-grey to an dirty olive-brown (which many Meadows have, making seperation from Tree easy in Europe if present allmost by this alone) to warm buffish-brown like in your bird.

Conclusion? A Meadow Pipit for me, with one caveat: is there a Pipit so similar to an (european) Meadow Pipit in Pakistan, that I dont know and am not aware of? Because if sen in europe, I would ID your bird as a Meadow with confidence.

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Looks just like a Meadow Pipit to me too - no idea what their status in northern Pakistan is (or what potential confusion species there might be, too)!

gilgit2

Thank you, I also deduced the ID in a similar way :)

Hello,
allthough its not good to answer when I have no experience in a certain region (I have only been in Europe), I will post:

Your bird isnt a Tree Pipit:
-most have a prominent supercilium which your bird lacks
-bill is not strong/stout enough
-hind claw seems to long, but this is a bit variable. Caveat: when you look at ID-books, you can get the feeling that this is an easy and failproof character with modern cameras and "cristall-clear-magic"-binoculars, but in the field and many pictures it isnt. Reason? Dont know, one of the points I am still interested in.
-overall colouration is not warm/clean/smooth enough for an ID-book Tree
-flank streaking is to bold for the vast majority of Tree Pipits

Your bird isnt a Red-throated Pipit:
it lacks yellow bill-base (its orange in your bird), lacks bold blop-shaped rounded streaks to breast and flanks (to narrow/wrong shaped in your bird). More it seems to lack dark markings on the visible uppertail-coverts (not sure if this can be judged in these pictures)

Water Pipit/Rock Pipit of europen ssp/species/forms are even less similar.

But your bird looks very good for a Meadow Pipit, everything is there. Overall colouration is variable in Meadow Pipit, ranging friom cold colouless olive-grey to an dirty olive-brown (which many Meadows have, making seperation from Tree easy in Europe if present allmost by this alone) to warm buffish-brown like in your bird.

Conclusion? A Meadow Pipit for me, with one caveat: is there a Pipit so similar to an (european) Meadow Pipit in Pakistan, that I dont know and am not aware of? Because if sen in europe, I would ID your bird as a Meadow with confidence.

gilgit2

Thank you Joern Lehmhus, Nutcracker and Alexander Stöhr, thank you for the the help in identification. Meadow Pipit has been recorded as a vagrant or rare winter visitor to north western parts of Pakistan (south west of the current spotting), but I am not aware of any latest records from the country.

Users who are viewing this thread