• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit or? (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

I'm using my holiday for cleaning up in a lot of older pictures.. Here is 2 pictures from middle of October this year, taken along the Baltic coast here in Poland

They are taken early in the morning before sun light appeared, so colours might deviate, but I have tried to lighten both of them a bit..

My impression at the pier was a Skylark, but I see that it has black ends of the primaries, the edge between reddish and white isn't clear on the belly and the bill is sort of dark, which a Skylark doesn't have.. Or maybe it's just colour deviations, due to low light? Could look like some sort of Pipit, even it's missing the black lines on breast and along the body?

Can someone give an ID or at least a hint in which direction to look with these pictures?

Attachments

• Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Pipit1.jpg
    Pipit1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Pipit1-Light.jpg
    Pipit1-Light.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Pipit-Light.jpg
    Pipit-Light.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 48
To me the wings look broader than any pipit's. This, together with the thin white trailing edge to the secondaries makes it a skylark. Your first instinct was correct.

I agree with Skylark too. White trailing edge is distinctive and the wing-tip extends too far down the tail when the wings are folded for any pipit as well.

Cheers

Roy

Thanks to both of you for your help.. It is very instructive and to great help to read the various answers on this page..

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back