• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

Tonight I was in my local harbour and saw this Pipit.. I just assume it to be a Meadow Pipit, but when I came home I see pictures must detailed, it has quite a short toe behind for a Meadow Pipit and the legs are pretty dark.. I know the lack of light might influence that as well..

Is it just a Meadow Pipit, which is confusing me or a Rock Pipit, which is rarely in the harbour, and usually not before end of October..

Attachments

• Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 52
  • Pipit1.jpg
    Pipit1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 66
Hello,

I agree its a Rock Pipit: dark legs and all dark bill, the right washed out blotchy underpart streaking, the right dark gray upperparts, everything is there, even in a picture shot in low light conditions with surely has supported/added to this colours.
I assume, some streaking to the crown would be visible in Meadow Pipit, even in such a picture (no offense)

Edit; I think Water Pipit can be excluded too, by shape of blotchy streaks to belly and overall colour

Super, thanks... It was good I gave it a try then.. :)

Yes, I know the quality is pretty low.. Unfortunately, it just landed a few moments in the shadow and took off again..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back