• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits in Nepal (1 Viewer)

mjgrunwell

Hello, getting to grips with big pipits. Found this on dry fields in Kathmandu this morning.
Lores look pale so rules out tawny and paddyfield? Could it be Blyth's?
Advice welcome

Attachments

• pipit01.jpg
    pipit01.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 62
  • pipit02.jpg
    pipit02.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 60
  • pipit03.jpg
    pipit03.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 56
  • pipit04.jpg
    pipit04.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 63
Any reason why it isn't Paddyfield? Certainly the most likely, given the location. That's what I would be calling it, if I saw that there, or somewhere like Thailand

I would also call this Paddyfield. It's not Blyth's, as the median covert centres are pointed. If you look carefully at the 3rd image, a thin loral stripe is just about visible. The rather solid, warm brown ear coverts, forming a cheek patch, and the gingery fringes to the greater coverts and flight feathers are also typical of Paddyfield, as is the short tail.

Any reason why it isn't Paddyfield? Certainly the most likely, given the location. That's what I would be calling it, if I saw that there, or somewhere like Thailand

I would also call this Paddyfield. It's not Blyth's, as the median covert centres are pointed. If you look carefully at the 3rd image, a thin loral stripe is just about visible. The rather solid, warm brown ear coverts, forming a cheek patch, and the gingery fringes to the greater coverts and flight feathers are also typical of Paddyfield, as is the short tail.
Agree with David and Andy, quite apart from the wrong median covert pattern, the bird lacks the heavier, more organised streaking to the upperparts of Blyth's + bill structure is wrong. Blyth's typically has a shorter, more pointed, deeper based= more conical shape to its bill. The rather weak loral pattern is not that unusual in Paddyfield.

Grahame

Agree with Paddyfield for all the reasons stated - (although I only got so far as to just rule out Richards having given this only a cursory look initially, clearly all the features Andy and Graham point to are present.)

Hello, getting to grips with big pipits. Found this on dry fields in Kathmandu this morning.
Lores look pale so rules out tawny and paddyfield? Could it be Blyth's?
Advice welcome
Thanks for all your comments, I am happy to go with Paddyfield, you can see a hint of a dark loral line and the secondary coverts, as mentioned are not right for Blyth's. Paddyfield it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back