• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits in Slovakia (1 Viewer)

Tom St

I am very bad at IDing pipits and I encountered a bunch of them in Slovakia in August 2020.
I appreciate your help!
Edit: forgot to upload one of the photos. Now I did (pipit_5 is the new one).

Attachments

• pipit_1.JPG
    pipit_1.JPG
    663.6 KB · Views: 59
  • pipit_2.JPG
    pipit_2.JPG
    809 KB · Views: 53
  • pipit_3.JPG
    pipit_3.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 49
  • pipit_4.JPG
    pipit_4.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 54
  • pipit_5.JPG
    pipit_5.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 41
  • pipit_6.JPG
    pipit_6.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Guessing here a bit ๐Ÿ˜ juvenile Meadow in #I I think? #2 juvenile Tree - which has a short hind Claw? #3 which looks like a Tree Pipit.#4 Tree #5 Meadow?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback so far! Photos 5 and 6 were taken at higher altitudes than the others. They're the only ones taken above the tree line. Does that favour the proposed water pipit over tree?

Thanks for the feedback so far! Photos 5 and 6 were taken at higher altitudes than the others. They're the only ones taken above the tree line. Does that favour the proposed water pipit over tree?
Did you just add another image ๐Ÿ˜ Iโ€™m getting confuddled! - #6 looks like the same bird (or at least species) as #5 (also a Water Pipit) and you can see the dark legs on this image and white ground colour of the upper breast. Yes re elevation - were you in the alpine region in the North?

Last edited:
Agree with Water Pipit for 5 and 6 (especially with the new photo added): the median and greater covers pattern, as well as the tertials (and upperparts) indicate this species and rule out Tree.

Did you just add another image ๐Ÿ˜ Iโ€™m getting confuddled! - #6 looks like the same bird (or at least species) as #5 (also a Water Pipit) and you can see the dark legs on this image and white ground colour of the upper breast. Yes re elevation - were you in the alpine region in the North?
I did ๐Ÿ˜… I forgot to upload it the first time around.
The last two photos were taken on the ridge of the Low Tatras. Not sure what the exact elevation was.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back