• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipridae (1 Viewer)

Ferraz, D.O., L. Sampaio, K. de Araújo Lima, J. Araripe, F. Sequeira, A. Aleixo, P.V. Cerqueira, L.S. Carneiro, and P.S. do Rêgo (2023)
West–east diversification model explains pattern phylogeography of the Band-tailed Manakin Pipra fasciicauda
Journal of Ornithology (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1007/s10336-022-02043-7

Birds are the vertebrate group most used in studies that attempts to decipher the events that have molded the diversification of the Amazonian biota. However, inconsistencies related to the existence of polytypic species, associated with the limited samples available for many regions, hamper the accurate reconstruction of phylogeographic patterns. In particular, no molecular study has yet included all the subspecific taxa currently recognized in the Band-tailed Manakin, Pipra fasciicauda. This species encompasses a complex of subspecies differentiated by their morphological traits and distinct regional distributions. The present study investigated the current taxonomic and phylogeographic configuration of P. fasciicauda using a multilocus molecular approach to decipher the biogeographic events that determined the diversification of this group. This analysis included all the recognized subspecies, sampled widely throughout their respective areas of occurrence. The molecular data indicate the existence of three monophyletic lineages that coincide only partially with the current subspecific classification of the group. Lineage 1 grouped all the specimens of the subspecies Pipra fasciicauda purusiana and Pipra fasciicauda saturata. Lineage 2 was composed of the individuals of Pipra fasciicauda fasciicauda and Pipra fasciicauda calamae, while lineage 3 was formed by the specimens of Pipra fasciicauda scarlatina. Lineage 1 was estimated to have diverged from the other lineages by around 0.43 Mya, while lineages 2 and 3 would have separated by 0.17 Mya, which indicates that their current phylogeographic configuration was determined by events occurring during the middle Pleistocene. The demographic analyses revealed a process of recent geographic expansion, with dispersal events molding the gene flow among lineages. As observed in other bird taxa, the diversification of P. fasciicauda has been associated with the hydrographic dynamics of the Amazon basin, together with climatic shifts, which have combined to determine the differentiation of the populations from west to east within the basin.

Andre E Moncrieff, Brant C Faircloth, Rosalind C Remsen, Anna E Hiller, Cristhian Felix, Angelo P Capparella, Alexandre Aleixo, Thomas Valqui, Robb T Brumfield, Implications of headwater contact zones for the riverine barrier hypothesis: a case study of the Blue-capped Manakin (Lepidothrix coronata), Evolution, 2023;, qpad187, Implications of headwater contact zones for the riverine barrier hypothesis: a case study of the Blue-capped Manakin (Lepidothrix coronata)

Rivers frequently delimit the geographic ranges of species in the Amazon Basin. These rivers also define the boundaries between genetic clusters within many species, yet river boundaries have been documented to break down in headwater regions where rivers are narrower. To explore the evolutionary implications of headwater contact zones in Amazonia, we examined genetic variation in the Blue-capped Manakin (Lepidothrix coronata), a species previously shown to contain several genetically and phenotypically distinct populations across the western Amazon Basin. We collected restriction site-associated DNA sequence data (RADcap) for 706 individuals and found that spatial patterns of genetic structure indicate rivers, particularly the Amazon and Ucayali, are major dispersal barriers for L. coronata along a distance of more than 3000 km. We also found evidence that genetic connectivity is elevated across several headwater regions, highlighting the importance of headwater gene flow for models of Amazonian diversification. The headwater region of the Ucayali River provided a notable exception to findings of headwater gene flow by harboring non-admixed populations of L. coronata on opposite sides of a <1-km-wide river channel with a known dynamic history, suggesting that additional prezygotic barriers may be limiting gene flow in this region.

I cannot help with prezygotic barriers, my parents were philosophically opposed. But I’m wondering about what is Lepidothrix ?? Modernly P. coronata was placed in Lepidothrix in 1992. But in 1854 when he erected Lepidothrix Bonaparte only included P. cyaneocapilla Wagler and P. isidorei which he called isodorii. As well as P. herbaceous Spix which he says is a female.

Bonaparte page 316 of the second part of the first year (August?) 1854 of L'Ateneo Italiano; which is the OD. The AOS uses page 6 of the separate which I think was published later.

L'Ateneo Italiano; raccolta di documenti e memorie relative al progresso delle scienze fisiche compilato da S. de Luca e D. Müller .

Separate: Conspectus volucrum anisodactylorum .

Wagler 1830:

Bd.23 (1830) - Isis von Oken - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Spix herbaceous: t.2 (1825) - Avium species novae, quas in itinere per Brasiliam annis MDCCCXVII-MDCCCXX - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Hahn P. cyaneocapilla. 12 Lief. Is dated as 1822 so I date this 15 Leif. As 1825.

Voegel aus Asien, Afrika, Amerika und Neuholland - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Spix coronata:

t.2 (1825) - Avium species novae, quas in itinere per Brasiliam annis MDCCCXVII-MDCCCXX - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Bonaparte 1854 put P. coronata in its own genus, Ceratopipra. And put P. caeruleocapilla Tsch. In genus Dixiphia.

P. isidorei 1852 Sclater:

sér.2:t.4 (1852) - Revue et magasin de zoologie pure et appliquée - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

AOS:

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/content/part/AOU/AOUchecklistPass-Mimidae.pdf .

Page 10 of 107.

Gray 1855 made P. cyaneocapilla the type of Lepidothrix ,

Modernly P. coronata was placed in Lepidothrix in 1992. But in 1854 when he erected Lepidothrix Bonaparte only included P. cyaneocapilla Wagler and P. isidorei which he called isodorii. As well as P. herbaceous Spix which he says is a female.
...a female of "cyaneocapilla, Wagl."

Bonaparte page 316 of the second part of the first year (August?) 1854 of L'Ateneo Italiano; which is the OD. The AOS uses page 6 of the separate which I think was published later.
L'Ateneo Italiano; raccolta di documenti e memorie relative al progresso delle scienze fisiche compilato da S. de Luca e D. Müller .
Separate: Conspectus volucrum anisodactylorum .
The journal issue is dated "Agosto 1854" in the footer of the first page of each gathering (starting p. 265), but the wrapper was apparently dated to 15 Aug 1854 (not seen by me, but see Zoological Citation Sources -- A ). The Paris Académie acknowledged its reception (also citing a date of publication of 15 Aug 1854, possibly reflecting the date on the wrapper) in its séance of 28 Aug 1854 : t.39 (1854) - Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences - Biodiversity Heritage Library . Advertisements can also be found in various places places, indicating that this journal consisted in 64-pp fascicles issued on the 15 of each month; such an advertisement is present in the separate version of the Conspectus volucrum zygodactylorum 2 - Opera ornithologica - Biodiversity Heritage Library , although not in the journal itself.
The separaet was received by Académie in its séance of 4 Sep 1854 t.39 (1854) - Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences - Biodiversity Heritage Library . It was noticed as published on 9 Sep 1854 in Bibliogr. France; Bibliographie de la France .
Thus, yes, the separate seems to have been published later. (Which is far from being a general rule with Bonaparte's works.) The AOS cites it presumably because the journal was not readily accessible in America. (Fortunately, the two versions are identical... Not a general rule with Bonaparte's works either.)

Wagler here cited clearly "Pipra cyaneocapilla Hahn ausl. Vög. Liefr. 15. t. 5. f. 2.", so there is no question that he was using Hahn's name and not proposing something new.
(I can see no evidence that Wagler misidentified his specimen when he used the name either; nor that Bonaparte regarded Wagler's concept as differing from Hahn's when he introduced Lepidothrix.)

Sclater 1855 pt.21-23 (1853-1855) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library also interpreted herbacea as a female coronata / cyaneocapilla, saying he had seen the type in Munich. Hartert 1906 Bd.22 (1906) - Abhandlungen der Mathematisch-Physikalischen Klasse der Königlich Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften - Biodiversity Heritage Library also agreed with this, based on the type as well. (But Cabanis, in 1860 T.2 (1859-1860) - Museum Heineanum - Biodiversity Heritage Library , thought that Pipra herbacea Spix was a tanager.)

Hahn P. cyaneocapilla. 12 Lief. Is dated as 1822 so I date this 15 Leif. As 1825.
Voegel aus Asien, Afrika, Amerika und Neuholland - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Note that Hahn actually spelled it cyanocapilla.
There are scans of Lieferungen I to XII with dated wrappers at Lfg.1-12 (1818-1822) - Voegel, aus Asien, Africa, America und Neuholland, in Abbildungen nach der Natur mit Beschreibungen - Biodiversity Heritage Library , and indeed the wrapper of Lief. XII is dated "1822".
Both Richmond (http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Picu/picu00843a.jpg ) and Sherborn (sec.2:pt.1=pp.1-128 [A-Aff] - Index animalium - Biodiversity Heritage Library ) dated Lieferung XV to 1826, however -- not 1825. This Lieferung was also explicitly reported as having been published in 1826 in the journal Magazin für Pharmacie : Magazin für Pharmacie und die dahin einschlagenden Wissenschaften .

Richmond questioned the date of publication of this work ("1825" [=1826?] -- http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Picu/picu00836a.jpg ). Perhaps rightly ? Of course, the title page of the book says "MDCCCXXV". But the earliest external reference to this book I found reported that Spix had presented it to the königl. bayer. Akademie der Wissenschaften in München in a Sitzung on 14 Jan 1826 (Bericht über die Arbeiten der Königlichen Baier. Akademie der Wissenschaften in München ) and, in the same 1826 academic report, a list of publications of the members of the Akademie gave the book as of "Monachii. 1826." (Bericht über die Arbeiten der Königlichen Baier. Akademie der Wissenschaften in München ). (The book was not mentioned in 1825 academic reports.)
Shouldn't we expect such a source to be correct ?

Bonaparte 1854 put P. coronata in its own genus, Ceratopipra.
No, this is not right -- what Bonaparte 1854 put in Ceratopipra is P. cornuta Spix, which is a wholly different species; he did not cite P. coronata at all.

Gray 1855 made P. cyaneocapilla the type of Lepidothrix ,
Yes : Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Last edited:
Thank you Laurent especially the links to documents that help date other works. I trust a medica/pharmacie journal as a source more than a daily newspaper or a Gentalmen's gazette which have been used for this. I'm thinking that P. cyanocapilla and P. coronata might both be dated 12/31/1826, I have been looking for a first revisor. I have not found that yet. But Hellmayr in 1929 says:
Pipra cyanocapilla HAHN (Vogel aus Asien, etc., Lief. 15, pi. 3, fig. 2, 1826 Brazil) may have been based on a specimen of the present form. Considering the similarity of the three races found on the banks of the Solimoes and in the absence of a more definite locality than "Brazil", it seems best to drop the name altogether as ambiguous. The whereabouts of the type purchased from a dealer and formerly in the describer's private collection is unknown. .

v.13:pt.6 (1929) - Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

The picture in Hahn is not ambiguous! Hellmayr is wrong.
I apologize my word processor now uses AI to change scientific names to English words. Bad Robot bad!

Jim,
Access to Zootaxa seems to be a lottery. I accessed your Stictocerthia article easily, but for Protopelma I need to purchase or access via password, inside-leg measurement, grandmother's maiden-name, etc, etc (I gave up, hoping some kind soul will oblige!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back