• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plants to identify please (1 Viewer)

Ross Ahmed

All photos taken November this year in NE England.

1. ?
2. Common Burdock?
3. Bilbao Fleabane?
4. Bilbao Fleabane?
5. Silver Birch?
6. Sticky groundsel?

Attachments

• IMG_8520.jpg
    IMG_8520.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8522.jpg
    IMG_8522.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8535.jpg
    IMG_8535.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8547.jpg
    IMG_8547.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8556.jpg
    IMG_8556.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8568.jpg
    IMG_8568.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
1. A grass.
2. A burdock. I would say probably greater burdock from the clumped flowerheads - except that there's not much of it N of the Humber.
3. Maybe a composite.
4. Looks like Canadian fleabane.
5. Leaf-shape more like silver birch than downy birch - but helpful to see clear photos of leaf-shape and lower part of trunk.
6. Some robust yellow composite. I'd guess something more like a hawksbeard than a groundsel.

Agree 3 is a good candidate for Bilbao Fleabane, Erigeron floribundus. 4 is so spent I don't think we could say more than Erigeron sp, but may well be E. floribundus, which is becoming a widespread neophyte.

I'm not convinced the birch is Silver Birch as I can't see any of the usually distinctive black diamond-shaped marks on the bark, but as Butty said it isn't a great image. Also worth noting the hybrid between Silver & Downy Birch is quite common, so always a possibility.

I'm not sure how useful it is including photos of dead/decomposing plants to get an ID? Maybe wait until you get some fresh growth next year?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back