• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Platyrinchus cancrominus timothei Paynter, 1954 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Platyrinchus cancrominus timothei Paynter, 1954 OD here

This race is dedicated to the memory of Timothy H. Laughlin, who spent the last months of his short life as my companion and assistant in Yucatan, and to whom I shall always be greatly indepted.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Stub-tailed Spadebill ssp Platyrinchus cancrominus timothei Paynter, 1954
Timothy H. Laughlin (d.c.1953) assisted the describer, Raymond Paynter (q.v.), during fieldwork (1950–1951) in the Yucatan Peninsula. Paynter wrote that Laughlin's 'untimely death came shortely after our return to this country (US).

The above sentence came from here and wasn't part of OD. From...

During the field work of 1950-1951 I was accompanied by Timothy H. Laughlin, whose untimely death came shortly after our return to this country. His companionship and assistance were vital in making that trip successful. I deeply regret that he did not see the culmination of the project which he so ably assisted.

...I would conclude that he died 1950 Yucatan Peninsula but do not have final evidence.

The Key to Scientific Names
Timothy H. Laughlin (fl. 1950) US field-naturalist, collector in Panama and Mexico (subsp. Platyrinchus cancrominus).

Let's give a try to get his middle name and life dates.

Note "whose untimely death came shortly after our return to this country"

So:

Timothy Herron Laughlin

1933–1951
BIRTH AUG 4 1933 • New York, United States of America
DEATH MAY 5 1951 • Aiken, Aiken County, South Carolina, United States of America

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back