• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please: any recommendations of fat ball brands and those brands one should avoid? (1 Viewer)

Hello, there seem to be 100's of companies vying for customers to buy their fat balls, and I have no clue how to tell the good from the bad and the ugly. Having read about sawdust in fatballs, I am worried I might buy the wrong product. The general advice to buy 'good quality' fat balls isn't helping much either as one is reading about upper range products [i.e. expensive ones] being totally ignored by birds. I could of course try out various products and stick with the one which the birds seem most to like; however: can I trust the birds that they know what is good for them? ;) Would they recognise sawdust [and possibly from treated wood!] if they ate it?
I would be very grateful if someone could please mention a few 'good' and 'bad' brands ... many thanks and a Happy New Year!

CJ Wildlife and Haiths are well established brands dealing with quality products. As you correctly stated, you get what you pay for. A high suet content is the key, rather than used vegetable oils. Same with suet pellets and cakes. Are you anywhere near Fakenham. I have a fantastic independent supplier I could recommend.
Cheers.
I see from another post you live near Cromer. My supplier is in Melton Constable, Van der L feeds.

Last edited:
CJ Wildlife and Haiths are well established brands dealing with quality products. As you correctly stated, you get what you pay for. A high suet content is the key, rather than used vegetable oils. Same with suet pellets and cakes. Are you anywhere near Fakenham. I have a fantastic independent supplier I could recommend.
Cheers.
I see from another post you live near Cromer. My supplier is in Melton Constable, Van der L feeds.
thank you Pyrtle!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back