• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Please help ID the wagtail, Jiangsu Province, China (1 Viewer)

deanman

Please help ID the following:

1. Yellow Wagtail, Plexa?

2. Citrine Wagtail?

Tks.

Attachments

• WechatIMG27.png
    WechatIMG27.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 81
  • WechatIMG54.png
    WechatIMG54.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 82

theexpert

Romania
I'd say the first is a yellow wagtail cinerocapella ssp. and the second is also a yellow wagtail with flavissima ssp.

Alexander Stöhr

Not a confident answer, but one to alert others, so I can learn:
If I would see the second bird in Europe, I would identify it as a Citrine Wagtail.
I have seen only one female CWT before, but :
  • greyish upperparts with just slight olive wash
  • just visible nearly white undertailcoverts, contrasting with yellow belly
  • very weak dark loral area, quite pale central ear-coverts with complete pale sorrounding at rear produces an unusual head pattern for a flava Yellow Wagtail
  • extensive greyish overlay to the flanks
Qustion? Do female eastern YW look so different and more similar to Citrine?

lou salomon

the birdonist
both look to be eastern Yellow Wagtails, note the greenish upperparts to the second bird. from diffuse memory, taivana has a similar look to the second one but without a research i wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

Paul Leader

I would agree with the original ID on both counts. The second is a pretty typical adult female Citrine Wagtail. In addition to the features already pointed out, the pale forecrown eliminates EYW. Taivava, as you probably know is a very different bird with typically solid ear coverts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread