• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help identify bird in Palestine (Middle East) (1 Viewer)

Dumpling

Palestine
IMG_20210519_125023.jpgScreenshot from wobbly video taken on my phone of neighbours' balcony in building opposite 12 May 2021.

They made no sound that I could hear. I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about birds so in terms of size all I can say is smaller than a crow?!

One is larger than the other, I'm assuming male and female couple. The white 'lace' on top caught my eye!

Browsed through pics and tried a couple of apps but no joy. Any help welcome.

Yes. Odd-looking plumage for some reason, but that seems to be what they are.
Yes , maybe it is explained by its subspecie I.e C. m.cirtensis( Algerian jackdaw) , which has, as I have just found out, a duller plumage and less distinct nape than other subspecies.
edit : I am not sure exactly if that is the subspecie expected there though.
Edit 2 : Looking about a bit , and it appears that C.m. soemmerringii should be the expected subspecie there.

Last edited:
Yes , maybe it is explained by its subspecie I.e C. m.cirtensis( Algerian jackdaw) , which has, as I have just found out, a duller plumage and less distinct nape than other subspecies.
So very interesting! I know nothing about them so I'm doing a bit reading and I did notice these lovelies have brownish chest colouring unlike the few pics I've seen so far. My mum suspects they're nesting in a plastic laundry basket so when I'm next there I'll be spying on the neighbours again 😂

So very interesting! I know nothing about them so I'm doing a bit reading and I did notice these lovelies have brownish chest colouring unlike the few pics I've seen so far. My mum suspects they're nesting in a plastic laundry basket so when I'm next there I'll be spying on the neighbours again 😂
Haha, the jackdaw is certainly one of my favorite birds( Hint : my profile pic☺️). Their pleasant calls and "sophisticated" gait is very amusing to observe.

edit : I am not sure exactly if that is the subspecie expected there though.
Palestine is probably in the area where spermologus of NW Africa meets soemmerringii of SE Europe & Turkey...
MJB

Hello,
welcome to birdforum from me, too!
After looking just at the picture yesterday, I struggled to identify the right bird with confidence. Angle of viewing and what appears to be rubby, shaggy plumage made this a difficult picture/bird, at least for me.
And the video doesnt changed this feeling. Yes, the video seems to show, that the bird has a pale eye. If this is indeed so, it has to be a Jackdwa

Reasons:
  • it seems a clearly larger bird than the Jackdaw. Yes Jackdaws spread their head-plumage during various social interactions, resulting in similar looking large-headed Jackdaws, but gut feeling says: this is not the (only) explanation for the larger size
  • bill-shape, although difficult to judge, seems strange
  • really black front just above the bill. Yes, eastern birds have a clearly paler grey head with more contrast to the black front area (and the black area is smaller, too? I would like to get comments, if this statement is right or wrong), but this bird still seems to show an unusual (but not out of variation) head-pattern for a Jackdaw. Yes, the paler, nearly whitish area bordering the black face-mask is present in some Jackdaws too, as is extensive pale "eastern-Jackdaw-collar". A similar Jackdaw regarding head-pattern is here: https://www.bird-lens.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Dohle_DSC01888.jpg (winter 2014/15, Schwedt, NE-Germany)
As the strange feeling hasnt gone, I googled for Jackdaw x House Crow hybrids and hoping for others to jump in. But yes, I think Butty might be right, that its an ill Jackdaw with ruffled plumage. But ...

Regarding subspecies identification from an western European point of view, I have written something here. Halsbanddohlen in Ostdeutschland – Bird Lens Its in german, but I hope usefull for foreign readers in the times of googletranslate

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back