• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Please help identify - Randolph County, West Virginia (1 Viewer)

Wvbirds

United States
Hey all! I joined this forum specifically to ask this question, but now that I’m here I anticipate being more active!

This bird occupied an old nest that was built by a previous bird. It is roughly the size of baseball when nesting.

I found it in Randolph County, WV on January 2nd 2020. It nests at night, leaves the nest during the day. I only have a picture of it at night when nesting.

I really do not have any idea and it’s baffling me. Any help is much appreciated!!

Attachments

• 06374111-45F1-4983-865E-750B0E40B4D6.jpeg
    06374111-45F1-4983-865E-750B0E40B4D6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57

rkj

Welcome to the forum. I hope someone can help you. A blackish bird with white spots? All I can think of offhand is a European Starling. Whatever it is, at this time of year in West Virginia it would surely be roosting rather than nesting. Nesting implies it has eggs or nestlings - unlikely now. It is probably just sleeping in a safe warm place.

Karinp77

United States
Hey all! I joined this forum specifically to ask this question, but now that I’m here I anticipate being more active!

This bird occupied an old nest that was built by a previous bird. It is roughly the size of baseball when nesting.

I found it in Randolph County, WV on January 2nd 2020. It nests at night, leaves the nest during the day. I only have a picture of it at night when nesting.

I really do not have any idea and it’s baffling me. Any help is much appreciated!!
At first glance I thought it wasn’t a bird but it does look like feathers! I’m going to have to wait and see what others say I have no idea! Take more pictures and maybe we can see it’s head. 😊

Welsh Peregrine

Happy to learn about Carolina Wren behaviour, I would have expected brown creeper to have been roosting upright, or even in a crevice in bark, so happy to know that it wasn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread