• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help me!!! Nikon fieldscope ED82 (1 Viewer)

Redkiteavoca

3D Artist and aspiring Bird Photographer
Hi there, I purchased the Nikon fieldscope ED 82 and I just have no idea how I am supposed to set it up properly, I got it working with my DSLR but it is very dark and blurry, even on nice days. I am not sure if I'm setting it up wrong so I'll attach a pic of all the parts I received with it, I would be truely grateful for any assistance with it as I'm only new to digiscoping.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dave

Attachments

• 20180922_201955-1252x1203.jpg
    20180922_201955-1252x1203.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 110
Camera adapters like that tend to give a rather small aperture (f13 perhaps), so viewfinder will look a bit dark if you have a DSLR. With a normal lens a DSLR usually don't stop down until you take the picture so it will look brighter.

Thank you Vespobuteo, I still don't really know if I'm even setting it up properly, and what the different eye pieces are for.

Thank you Vespobuteo, I still don't really know if I'm even setting it up properly, and what the different eye pieces are for.

Your scope is a Fieldscope ED II. The eyepieces are used for viewing only, and the adapter screws into the rear end of the scope, just like the eyepieces (but not simultaneously...) The bayonet mount is between the adapter and the camera. The camera should not be used with another lens simultaneously, so technically this is not digiscoping, but the scope body+adapter together act as a camera lens.

As opposed to this setup, digiscoping is photography through the eyepiece with a phone or small camera, not the DSLR.
This has advantages, mainly that the camera's aperture can be in roughly the same size as the exit pupil of the eyepiece. This way, you can get considerably faster shutter times.

Hope this helps.

//L

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/dsystem/fsa-l1/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back