• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

PLEASE HELP ME WITH A YOUNG SWIFT (1 Viewer)

ScouterTF2

Poland
Hello
I'm not a bird person but I need help immidietly. My mom found two baby common swifts at our house on the floor with the nest destroyed. She decided to take them and try helping them. One we found earlier went to a friend on a countryside but when we found the other one but he declined to take it. It was rejecting food but we still did what we could to feed it for 2 days. There is no nearby shelter for birds that would accept it and the closest one is about 300 km from here and they're not even replying to messages or calls so we can;t even be sure if they would accept it. Today we found another swift nest and my mom in desperation decided to drop it there but it scared the adult from that nest.
I need to know if this situation is still recoverable. Will the adult swifts come back after beeing scared? Can they take care of the dropped baby? What can we do if there is anything?
Please help us my mom is losing her mind over this whole mess.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Scouter and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. It very much depends if they have feathers and are near to fledging, if there's much chance for them. Also how badly injured they are. Tinned cat food makes a good substitute feed.

You do need expert advice, try taking them to a vet, to at least see what injuries they may have. If a wing is broken I'm afraid they won't survive in the wild.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how you get on.

ScouterTF2

Poland
Hi Scouter and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. It very much depends if they have feathers and are near to fledging, if there's much chance for them. Also how badly injured they are. Tinned cat food makes a good substitute feed.

You do need expert advice, try taking them to a vet, to at least see what injuries they may have. If a wing is broken I'm afraid they won't survive in the wild.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how you get on.
Thanks you for your answer. They were both fine they seem to have fallen from very small edge so there were not hurt in any way. The biggest issue now is whether the other swifts from different nest would accept it or not. It had bases for feathers but they were not fully formed but eyes still closed. We're worried we ended life of more than just this one fleddling but 2 more too.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread