• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Id this chat? (1 Viewer)

Ains

A birder in Abu took this snap yesterday. Please.
ID this bird
Location Mount Abu Raj India.
22 Jan 2022.©Sahil_2022_ IMG-59.jpg©Sahil_2022_ IMG-60.jpg
Just attached a second snap of the same bird hopefully this helps to get an accurate ID.

Last edited:
Grey Bushchat? still sceptical! Hopefully, get to see it again in the area and confirm it with the Grey Bushchat. It will be a RECORD observation for Mount Abu

Last edited:
Doesn't match with any other Bushchat/Stonechat in the region. After asking my friends, a Grey Bushchat for me though @Vyom B. Vyas can share more light on it.

Last edited:
Grey was my first thought too. If unexpected, out of range birds didn't turn up from time to time then many of us would be leading much duller lives....

Looking through photos of both species, the contrasting white throat (as in the OP's bird) does seem a good feature for grey bushchat (y)
. . . maybe with a few white-throated pied bushchats to confuse?!

Last edited:
Structurally, this doesn't look like a Grey Bushchat to me. It seems small-headed, small-billed and short-tailed, closer in structure to a Stonechat. I also think that the head pattern is not as well defined as I would expect for a Grey Bushchat - supercilium too short, white throat not very well defined and without contrast between ear coverts and nape (usually subtle but often visible on female Grey in my experience).
It looks better for a female Pied Bushchat to me, although I concede that the pale supercilium and throat would be unusual for that species.

Structurally, this doesn't look like a Grey Bushchat to me. It seems small-headed, small-billed and short-tailed, closer in structure to a Stonechat. I also think that the head pattern is not as well defined as I would expect for a Grey Bushchat - supercilium too short, white throat not very well defined and without contrast between ear coverts and nape (usually subtle but often visible on female Grey in my experience).
It looks better for a female Pied Bushchat to me, although I concede that the pale supercilium and throat would be unusual for that species.
A very intriguing bird John. Agree, structurally, it looks closer to Pied but there are anomalies in the plumage; the combination of rather strong supercilium, whitish throat and rufous bases to outer rectrices are at odds with that species. Might it be the product of mixed parentage?

Grahame

I've been puzzling over this bird for a few days now and Grahame and I discussed it privately yesterday. My initial impression was that it was a Pied, especially in the first image - it's over-exposed but the underparts are fairly dusky, the orange rump contrasts with the darkish upper tail and the supercilium, although quite bold, doesn't look as long or as white as on Grey. However, the tail looks a tad long even in the first image, and as Grahame has pointed out, the orange rump extends to the sides of the base of the tail, which is apparently not typical. In the second image, the tail looks really long, although this impression may be exaggerated by the angle it's being held at, the supercilia look bold and contrasting and the throat looks rather white. In addition, the outer tail feathers look rather rufous. This all gives a Grey-like feel.

I then remembered a bird which wintered in Abu Dhabi a few years back, which I recalled showed quite a strong supercilium in certain light conditions. You can see some images here - nos. 5-16: Pied Bush Chat. Note how much the appearance of the bird varies from image to image. In particular, in image no.8 taken by Oscar Campbell, the supercilia look bold and meet at the base of the bill, just as they do in the OP bird, the whitish throat looks quite contrasting and the outer tail feathers look quite reddish. All rather different to the following three images taken by Mark Smiles. It's also worth noting how much shorter the tail looks than that of the OP bird in all the images.

The bird photographed in Mirfa in images 17 & 18 looks even more anomalous - it even has quite rich brown ear-coverts which contrast with the nape, a feature that John stated is more typical of Grey, and a clearly demarcated white throat.

Grahame's suggestion of mixed origin may be valid as the tail does look a bit too long for Pied, but I wonder how much we can rely on these images, which may give an anomalous impression.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back