• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Id this chat? (1 Viewer)

A white throat, supercilium and orange uppertail - all point to Grey Bushchat female. A Pied Bushchat is overall more dusky, with more black on uppertail. I see no reason to suspect a mixed lineage here and I am not aware of any such hybrids either. Their breeding ranges do not overlap at all. Grey Bushchats are more abundant in north and central India in winter than distribution maps show, particularly from Haryana to Madhya Pradesh. Rajasthan is a known wintering destination for the species.

Last edited:
A white throat, supercilium and orange uppertail - all point to Grey Bushchat female. A Pied Bushchat is overall more dusky, with more black on uppertail. I see no reason to suspect a mixed lineage here and I am not aware of any such hybrids either. Their breeding ranges do not overlap at all. Grey Bushchats are more abundant in north and central India in winter than distribution maps show, particularly from Haryana to Madhya Pradesh. Mount Abu is a known wintering location for the species.

A known wintering location for the species - not so sure. Has it been recorded in Abu before?
If it is a Grey Bushchat, then it is apparently the first record for Mt. Abu.
Although, I think I have seen this bird in the same area before but never gave it any attention because I never expected a grey here - well out of its range.
The two experienced birders I was with immediately called out Grey Bushchat.
In the same area, sat a male Siberian Stonechat going about his business. Got me thinking. However, the two other birders are pretty sure this is a grey.

A known wintering location for the species - not so sure. Has it been recorded in Abu before?
If it is a Grey Bushchat, then it is apparently the first record for Mt. Abu.
Although, I think I have seen this bird in the same area before but never gave it any attention because I never expected a grey here - well out of its range.
The two experienced birders I was with immediately called out Grey Bushchat.
In the same area, sat a male Siberian Stonechat going about his business. Got me thinking. However, the two other birders are pretty sure this is a grey.
Were you with Puja?

Sorry, my bad. I meant to write Rajasthan but wrote Mt Abu instead. Yes, there are plenty of previous records from that state but you may not find those on eBird. Here's some social media posts for reference:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back