• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

please turn the beeps off... (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was sitting in a hide today enjoying watching some birds and taking the odd photo... well I was until a couple came in... All was fine until she got her camera out and then it was constantly beeping (seemed to be the focus confirmation). To be honest it didn't disturb the birds at all but it did drive me slightly mad. So please if you haven't already (which I'm sure most have) turn the beeps off and help me stay sane. :t:

I was sitting in a hide today enjoying watching some birds and taking the odd photo... well I was until a couple came in... All was fine until she got her camera out and then it was constantly beeping (seemed to be the focus confirmation). To be honest it didn't disturb the birds at all but it did drive me slightly mad. So please if you haven't already (which I'm sure most have) turn the beeps off and help me stay sane. :t:
I had similar problem recently with some idiot either the phone was going off all the time or they were arguing over what type of bird they had spotted gggggggrrrrrrrrrr
Brian
Ps good way of getting rid of annoying people in hides is to tell them there's a very rare bird/animal somewhere nearby that's easy to spot! last time i did it the hide emptied for a couple of hours as word gets around LoL

I had similar problem recently with some idiot either the phone was going off all the time ...

I always get people complaining that I never turn ON the volume on my phone ;) Always on silent, I miss almost all incoming calls which suits me just fine (and being anti-social I usually do not answer if I do notice it is ringing ;) )

Last edited:
First order of business with any new elctronic gizmo. Beep suppression. Why manufacturers think that we need confirmation that we've just pressed a button I will never quite fathom. My pet peeve though is people who noisily enter a hide scaring the bird you've waited half an hour for a shot of, talk loudly and eventually leave complaining there is nothing to see. Thankfully usually everything reappears shortly thereafter. Tum ti tum. I sound like an old man. :(

Snap Jos,
My phone is on silent all the time too.
My thoughts are 'just 'cos I've got a mobile phone doesn't mean you can get hold of me when you want to '
As to the beeps on the camera.... I've managed to switch every one of them off but the power up/down beep, doesn't seem to be an option for that one.
It's not so bad nowadays though, I can remember being in a hide years ago when a dickhead started knocking out shots of a bittern with a motordrive on his camera (film not digital), sounded like a blessed washing machine going into full spin mode, the bittern upped and vanished. I felt like introducing the man's camera to his descending colon.

I always get people complaining that I never turn ON the volume on my phone ;) Always on silent, I miss almost all incoming calls hich suits me just fine (and being anti-social I often do not answer if I do notice it is ringing ;) )

I have managed to kill all the beeps - but myflash still insists on beeping when it is either turned on or woken up!

;) Whats worst than a beep is a hide full of 1DMk III's hammering away at 8fps until the buffer is full. Not sure what a the collective name for a group of Canon owners is? o:D

;) Whats worst than a beep is a hide full of 1DMk III's hammering away at 8fps until the buffer is full. Not sure what a the collective name for a group of Canon owners is? o:D

yeah the 'machine gun' sounds can get a bit wearing, but at least that noise has a reason, it would be hard to get shots without the shutter going.

Canon owners are normally just reffered to as photographers, I'm not sure what you call Nikon owners though? ;) :-O ;)

I quite like the shutter sound of my my 1D MkII. Seems crisper (and slightly quieter?) than my old 20D. I've yet to try out machine gun mode in a confined space though!

I quite like the shutter sound of my my 1D MkII. Seems crisper (and slightly quieter?) than my old 20D. I've yet to try out machine gun mode in a confined space though!

Bring back expensive rolls of film and lets get our hides back to something resembling sanity. Why you guys want 300 shots of a Redshank at 200 metres range is beyond me. Do you not realise how annoying the sound of loud shutters is? You are a bloody nuisance.

Why you guys want 300 shots of a Redshank at 200 metres range is beyond me.
To be honest that's pretty much why (as I say) I've not tried out machine gun mode in a confined space. I pretty much only use high speed shooting mode for birds in flight and that usually means being out in the open. In a hide I'm generally only taking the odd record shot. Anyway. Sorry that my comment seems to have stirred strong emotions. On the rare occasion that I've used hides which have had other occupants I go out of my way to be considerate.

Hides and noise

Hi, you should come and live in New Zealand, no hides, usualy dont see any one else and the weather is great for photography all year. I cant remember the last time I saw someone else with a camera while I was out:-O. But then maybe not, you English do seem to complain a lot!8-P

But then maybe not, you English do seem to complain a lot!8-P

Try sitting in a hide with 3 birdwatchers and 15 (so called) photographers armed with newly bought credit card cameras. A ban on this lot can't come quick enough. And yes, we do moan, simply because there was a time when birding was a pleasure. This credit card tribe make a good day bad.

maybe the reserves should take a leaf out of the railway companies book and have quiet hides, no phones, mp3s, cameras, laptops etc or just split the existing ones in to 2....... :king:

Try sitting in a hide with 3 birdwatchers and 15 (so called) photographers armed with newly bought credit card cameras. A ban on this lot can't come quick enough. And yes, we do moan, simply because there was a time when birding was a pleasure. This credit card tribe make a good day bad.

credit card tribe? don't know that one...

Must admit I'm a photographer but I've only been in hides two or three times and I don't use the continuous mode to take photos. It's much too noisy and I far prefer to time the moment and take single shots. There was a guy in a hide at Cley last summer with a HUGE Canon setup and when he ran it continuous it sounded like a Gatling Gun! :eek!:

When I went to Cley I tried to sit out of the way and keep quiet - the other birdwatchers coming and going made as much, if not more noise than I did. Most of the time I was just sitting in the corner chilling out and watching the Avocets and Marsh Harriers. When I go birdwatching/photographing normally I'm out on foot stalking the birds so am used to being quiet - hopefully the time I've spent doing that will pay off when I go back to Blakeney in the summer.

While we're at can we stop the commentry brigade too. All this "its moving left left left" etc. does my head in. Its good to rant!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back