• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Pocket binoculars or larger monocular for spotting? (1 Viewer)

euanmax

Ordered the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30s

Thanks again for all the advice!

I decided that, as this will be my ONLY pair of binoculars, at least for a while, I’d go for something slightly larger but still very manageable when travelling light or with camera gear. So I ordered the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30s yesterday.

edwincjones

ease of use decreases with smaller size

zeiss 8x32FL or kowa 6.5x32 > zeiss 8x25 >> leica 8x20 monovid

Since I got the Kowa I have little used the compact terra,
have not yet found a good use for the high quality monovid

edj

but this topic is encouraging me to play with the monoxide more
give it a second, or third chance

edj

etudiant

Supporter
I know the feeling well edj. Some BF threads have me reaching for the N20 while others have me contemplating the CO...

Guys, N2O is no fun while CO is totally dull.
So neither has any place in a binocular discussions, which we all know have to be lively and spirited. ;)

Last edited:

jeffhosier

In my experience, the real issue is not the size of the bins. It's the size after you've added a bag to stop the other stuff in your pocket from damaging the glass. On my Zeiss Terra 8x25s, I have 4 plastic lens caps attached to the bins with thin bungee cord. This adds virtually no bulk, and makes them pretty pocketable.

The Terras, incidentally, are great.

Attachments

• IMG_20210306_210036.jpg
    IMG_20210306_210036.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread