• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Point Reyes area, California (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Any ideas? ...I am thinking Grosbeak of sorts. My wife took video of this yesterday and I believe the last shot is of the same bird, or so she says. I can't verify that..... Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.26.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.27.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.36.21 AM.png

I thought of the yellow headed blackbird but look at the head, it just isn't right...the yellow and the darker chest is... But he head has me fooled into the Grosbeak category... number three, agreed....I have no idea if that is the same bird although she says it is

I agree that the first two pictures show a Yellow-headed Blackbird. If you google images of Yellow-headed Blackbird you will see that the bill often looks quite thick. This is a good record for Point Reyes; there are not many reports on ebird for it ever in the area and none in the last 30 days. It would be worth reporting to the local rare birds listserve, which is at [email protected]

No idea about the second bird.

I agree that the first two pictures show a Yellow-headed Blackbird. If you google images of Yellow-headed Blackbird you will see that the bill often looks quite thick. This is a good record for Point Reyes; there are not many reports on ebird for it ever in the area and none in the last 30 days. It would be worth reporting to the local rare birds listserve, which is at [email protected]

No idea about the second bird.
A great record, one I still need for my Marin County list (where Point Reyes is located). There was a female that stopped by for a few others further south in the county, but wasn't chaseable. Exact location would be great.

3 is very hard to tell by the quality of the photo. Maybe Rose-breasted Grosbeak, but could defninetly be something like Spotted Towhee as well. Again., exact location in Point Reyes would help tremendously.

Could the 3rd image be a Lark Bunting?

Cheers
I don't believe so. It would have a more solid white patch on the wing, and most likely a darker bill. Looks a little structurally off as well. Also, they are much rarer in spring then fall (2 spring records, about 12 fall records).

Looking at images, I’m finding contrasting pale bills on Lark Buntings, also a variable amount of white on the wing. Structurally it looks ok to me even accepting that it’s a less than perfect image....

I talked to my wife, ...she said Rodeo Beach area....south of Point Reyes... She was texting me these images this morning

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back