• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poland. North. 2 birds. Willow or marsh tits (1 Viewer)

testoduro

I know these two are species are hard to tell apart but I wonder if we can make some likely assumptions based on these pictures here.

Bird 1 in photos 1 and 2: taken in a pine forest not very far from reedbeds and the mouth of a river, though. (Marsh tit?)
Bird 2 in photos 3, 4 and 5: taken in a very damp area, deciduous woods by a short canal linking two great lakes. (Willow tit?)

Thank you!

Attachments

• comba.jpg
    comba.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 43
  • Polonia.jpg
    Polonia.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Chmielno.jpg
    Chmielno.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • Chmielno, Polonia.jpg
    Chmielno, Polonia.jpg
    973.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I know these two are species are hard to tell apart but I wonder if we can make some likely assumptions based on these pictures here.

Bird in photos 1 and 2: taken in a pine forest not very far from reedbeds and the mouth of a river, though. (Marsh tit?)
Bird in photos 3, 4 and 5: taken in a very damp area, deciduous woods by a short canal linking two great lakes. (Willow tit?)

Thank you!
EDITED: I enclose another picture of bird 1 (pics 1 and 2). Does it show a pale patch on its wing, making it a candidate for Willow Tit?

Attachments

• IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19
Ideally, separation of these two species would require “better” images than shown, however looking at the head to body proportions I might suggest Marsh Tit as the candidate, albeit your last image might favour Willow?

Cheers

Ideally, separation of these two species would require “better” images than shown, however looking at the head to body proportions I might suggest Marsh Tit as the candidate, albeit your last image might favour Willow?

Cheers
Agree although no strong willow vibes from the last one for me

Thank you to all you have replied!

Please, please forgive me for showing you more pictures one at a time. There seems to be an agreement that the two birds are Marsh Tits but I have just brightened another photo of Bird 1 and .... isn't a white patch on the secondaries clearly visible?

Once again thank you and please accept my apologies for showing you the pictures like this!

Attachments

• Jose.jpg
    Jose.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back