• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Polar Bear at Barrow (1 Viewer)

GMK

I’m currently planning a trip to Alaska in June 2011, and am trying to make a choice as to where to go to see Spectacled Eider; Barrow or Deadhorse. What has this to do with mammals?

My choice could be influenced based on current information as to the relative likelihood of seeing Polar Bear at Barrow. My understanding is that the chance of seeing one, if one goes to the appropriate area on a tour, is c.25%. Does anyone have any information that suggests this about right, too pessimistic, or too optimistic?

Deadhorse apparently represents the cheapest logistics to see a Spectacled Eider, but I’d certainly consider spending extra money depending on the Polar Bear situation.

Thoughts very welcome

When I first saw the title of the thread I was just about to jump into the car and zoom off down the A590 ... but Barrow, Alaska makes far more sense!

You could try posting this question on the blog of mammalwatching.com if you get no luck here. You may have to email Jon Hall direct first.

Good luck.

Actually, given the weather we've got, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one come strolling up the garden path!

Hi Guy,

I've been doing trips up to Barrow in June since the early 1990's, and we make an effort to see bears on each visit there. Since it became feasible to do them (having access to appropriate vehicles), we've had a pretty good success rate - maybe 50-75% of visits on trips out to the tip. Most years there are Bowhead Whale carcasses out near the end of this long gravel spit, which is the "bait" that lures bears into view. Often, it's a lone, distant bear, but I've seen as many as 10 in a trip with some as close as 50 meters. I've also seen a few bears just by scanning the ice from in town. The locals charge quite a bit for trips out there (anywhere from $85-100 USD per person for a 2-3 hour trip). The trip out to the tip is quite a sight anyway, and with a bear sighting, it is amazing!

Good luck if you go!

Chris

If you were up there for some days, would several trips add up to near guaranteed? Or if they are not seen on one day, would it follow they are likely not in the area?

Hi Jos,

Here's the problem. Most years, repeated trips over a couple of days would bring virtual certainty. BUT... two or three years ago, there was a spell where none were being seen during mid to late June. So it is possible that it could be a bust. But most years, there are some around.

Chris

You could try posting this question on the blog of mammalwatching.com if you get no luck here. You may have to email Jon Hall direct first.

Good luck.

Has anyone tried getting Jon Hall to join us here? As this is, as far as I'm aware, the nearest thing to a proper mammal forum that exists.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back