• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poncho vs. Rain Jacket and Pants (1 Viewer)

The hands free kit looks like it’d work nicely.
For fun I did a search for “hands free umbrellas” and clicked on image. Wow, folks have given the whole hands free thing a lot of thought. I even found the classic “umbrella hat” in camo!
Some of them smack of a solution in search of a problem but I’d give them a gold star for creativity.
here’s a few screen grabs.

View attachment 1522169View attachment 1522165View attachment 1522167View attachment 1522170
FYI, I DID order the camo umbrella hat. The band was uncomfortable and the umbrella was only large enough to protect your head, not the rest of your body. I sent the umbrella back.

FYI, I DID order the camo umbrella hat. The band was uncomfortable and the umbrella was only large enough to protect your head, not the rest of your body. I sent the umbrella back.
Yeah, the umbrella hat did look like it was a bit small for protecting a camera from the rain. My search did turn up a very large umbrella hat but unless they’ve designed it to be as light as possible it looks like it might strain the neck muscles.

I’ve been doing a bit of research lately into the next generation hiking pants that are on the market these days. They’re generally rain proof, breath well and dry quickly so a big plus for travelling light during the rainy season. An umbrella will keep my top half relatively dry in a downpour but the bottom half gets pretty soggy so these might be just the ticket.

Yeah, the umbrella hat did look like it was a bit small for protecting a camera from the rain. My search did turn up a very large umbrella hat but unless they’ve designed it to be as light as possible it looks like it might strain the neck muscles.

I’ve been doing a bit of research lately into the next generation hiking pants that are on the market these days. They’re generally rain proof, breath well and dry quickly so a big plus for travelling light during the rainy season. An umbrella will keep my top half relatively dry in a downpour but the bottom half gets pretty soggy so these might be just the ticket.
Hmm, I actually haven’t looked into pants. I’ve got a collection of nylon hiking pants. You just gave me more work to do!😆

I DID order the camo umbrella hat. The band was uncomfortable and the umbrella was only large enough to protect your head, not the rest of your body. I sent the umbrella back.
Which highlights the importance of coverage when choosing an umbrella over just a hat. Hats generally only need to keep your uppermost areas dry, while an umbrellas is tasked with keeping all of you dry, and in this case, whatever you happen to have in your hands too.

I can't recall if anyone already posted this, but Six Moons makes little zip ties that are 'designed' for hands-free.
I might see if I can snag some and report back ;-)

Or DIY Umbrella rigging

Last edited:
I always have multiple lens cloths with me when I travel and they're in multiple small plastic baggies. I've never run out.

For sure on multiple. I carry 2 with me on any given day and extras for a whole trip. The interior pocket of a waterproof backpack has kept them dry so far. For pelagics I carry even more. Frequently I don’t use any but I spent a day on a ferry in Japan once where I went through 5-6 microfiber cloths probably, but saw a lot of good birds.

Occasionally the inside of the backpack gets damp just from humidity. Probably once every week or so of Dank weather I’ll empty it and flip it inside out and dry it in the sun or in an A/C hotel room for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back