• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor service from Kowa (1 Viewer)

paulsullivan

I own a Kowa TSN 883 angled and Eyepiece TE-11WZ. I have had dust spot issues with this eyepiece and changed it twice. Last August went to the Kowa stand at Birdfair as i had the same problem again- a few small dustspots in eyepiece. I was given an email to write to to arrange pick up to send to Germany for estimate. Okay, so i did that and after a couple of emails to fill out required forms I supplied dates they could pick up. The reply was quick-same day, saying they would be picking it up in about half an hour from now. Unfortunately i had nipped to the shop and missed the pick-up by a few minutes as i hadn't yet seen the email. Saw email probably half an hour after they sent it. Hadn't been expecting email to pick up being so rapid and contacted them straight away, as the driver would surely still be close by. Problem is they never replied to me. I asked for a new date for pick up on a few occasions, but again, no response at all. The last time i made contact was 12th Feb, but they again didn't reply. Anyone else had problems?, as being ignored becomes annoying, even if it is just to tell me no.
It has made me decide to sell my Kowa and move to another brand.

I own a Kowa TSN 883 angled and Eyepiece TE-11WZ. I have had dust spot issues with this eyepiece and changed it twice. Last August went to the Kowa stand at Birdfair as i had the same problem again- a few small dustspots in eyepiece. I was given an email to write to to arrange pick up to send to Germany for estimate. Okay, so i did that and after a couple of emails to fill out required forms I supplied dates they could pick up. The reply was quick-same day, saying they would be picking it up in about half an hour from now. Unfortunately i had nipped to the shop and missed the pick-up by a few minutes as i hadn't yet seen the email. Saw email probably half an hour after they sent it. Hadn't been expecting email to pick up being so rapid and contacted them straight away, as the driver would surely still be close by. Problem is they never replied to me. I asked for a new date for pick up on a few occasions, but again, no response at all. The last time i made contact was 12th Feb, but they again didn't reply. Anyone else had problems?, as being ignored becomes annoying, even if it is just to tell me no.
It has made me decide to sell my Kowa and move to another brand.

Unconscionable service. They should be reported to the Hague for crimes against humanity. Sounds like you've got the situation under control though.

Seriously though, are you contacting Kowa to resolve the situation or are you simply replying to the pick-up notification (which might go nowhere, or to a courier service)? Traditional corporations typically don't do much w/social media or electronic messaging. I find that I get excellent service from nearly every company when I contact them by phone. E-mail and other electronic note communication is much less reliable and I do not recommend it.

--AP

Last edited:
Contacted Kowa themselves via the email trail we had been using. This was the method of communication the Kowa rep had asked me to use. They just stopped replying

Seems that the optical problem you're experiencing is with the eyepiece. 3 different ocular and they've all had internal dust spots..... that is more than bad luck to me so I can understand you losing faith in the product. Second issue appears to lie with the courier - again, bad luck you had just popped out. I find nowadays that with smart mobile phones, the pick up or delivery times is pretty good, some even indicating the hour slot they'll be at your property, and usually one or two SMS messages to keep you informed.
Why not contact the dealer you originally purchased the unit from to see what they suggest? Otherwise why not send the lens back, fully insured and signed for at the other end, it may cost you but at least the matter is being dealt with and hopefully rectified.
Good luck.

Hi, thanks, i was trying to send the eyepiece back using the method requested by Kowa and Kowa arranged pick up. It was just i had popped out not knowing the courier was on their way, as i had not read the email in time. The email letting me know they were picking up the eyepiece on the day was sent only half an hour before courier arrived. My issue is that Kowa would not reply when i asked if we could try to send it again. I don't mind paying it is just i need to know if they will now look at the eyepiece it but they have not replied to any of my emails since then, having previously been in regular contact.

Paul,
Yes I gathered the scenario from your first post, it is so annoying and frustrating when that happens. I'm very surprised that there isn't a UK based Kowa centre ( plenty of dealers )so I guess that stock orders, returns and repairs are all handled via Germany. Good luck with your endeavours and hope the problem is resolved soon, rather than having to sell the scope. Try a phone call directly, before you send it off, I've found that German companies speak English almost fluently.

Here's my TE-11WZ story.

I bought my 883 with the TE-11WZ in November, 2015.
I noticed the "specks" in December, 2015.
Returned zoom to Kowa for repair. Returned to me late December 2015.

I soon discovered new "specks" around 30-35X. They are only visible against a clear background and I can focus them out of sight, though I lose that range of magnification. I asked a good friend to zoom slowly while looking at a clear sky and they cannot see the specks. When I set the focus on them, they can. So much for a $700 lens!

Two years ago I spoke to a Kowa rep at Cape May. I was told that some lenses were assembled in a clean room that wasn't all that clean. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said it was unacceptable. I never followed up with him.

I find my copy of the 883/25-60 so good I've been unwilling to risk sending my zoom in for "repair" or replacement fro a second time. I considered buying a second eyepiece, testing it and, based on its quality, deciding whether or not to send in the original...for the second time! I haven't pursued that avenue either.

It's a shame a $700 eyepiece isn't clean where it matters most. However, after one failed round trip, I did not want to risk a second. I even told them exactly how to test for this. It takes all of 10 seconds to look at a white target and zoom slowly. Apparently, they did not carefully examine the zoom before returning it.

The only way I'll part with this zoom is if I receive one to test beforehand. I suppose I could ask Kowa to do this but I'm getting lazy in my old age. I will ask them to bring a few to Cape May this year so I can test onsite and exchange if I find a suitable replacement.

To be continued...in October.

Last edited:
Two years ago I spoke to a Kowa rep at Cape May. I was told that some lenses were assembled in a clean room that wasn't all that clean. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said it was unacceptable. I never followed up with him.

I find that astonishing that an employee of Kowa would say that in public, almost treason, if indeed true. A good rep surely would not divulge that at a demonstration event? My thought also is if the company knew that, why did Quality Control and Inspection allow them to be signed off and made available as stock.
Paul, I trust your eyepiece issue is picked up successfully and the problem resolved to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
Paul, did you get the eyepiece issue resolved? I’m going to look at (through) an 883 on Wednesday, and I’m a bit concerned about the service I could expect from Kowa. A Swarovski ATS 80 hd is also being viewed....

Hello, yes, after posting on this forum they got in contact and my eyepiece was sent off to Germany for evaluation. From this point on service was good and they replaced the faulty eyepiece. So on my third now, hope i have a good one now, cheers
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back