• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Portable moth traps (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

England
With my impending departure to Cyprus, I have moths on my mind!

Obviously, short of building one myself, I'm looking for something transportable and these 20w compact units which flat pack, look perfect, has anyone got any experience of them, do two lights really double your catch?

Allen

No insight into flat pack traps I'm afraid Andy but I'm not convinced that doubling to 2 lights on my usual home trap has doubled my catch! But then my catches on 1 light was fairly abysmal !!

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
Two lights didn't do it for me either with an older style MV lamp within a Skinner trap courtesy of John just down the road at Anglian L S. It will be perfect for a back garden...... my mate in Windsor has one and is pleased with it. With respect, I think the numbers game will be much higher anyhow than Nottingham including praying mantis and Cicada! Your neighbours will love you as will RAF Akrotiri but Oleander and other new Hawkmoths, woosh!

Last edited:

Atropos

I certainly haven't noticed an improvement using two similar lights but a combination of black light and MV certainly improved my catch - not that I use the black lights very often at the moment

Andy Adcock

England
Thanks all, generally confirmed what I suspected, I will try a blacklight at some point Atropos, have thought about it for a while.

Oleander Hawkmoth, I'm slightly aroused...........................(y)

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread