• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Golden Eagle, Oakville, Ontario, 5th May 2021 (1 Viewer)

D Halas

I spotted this bird soaring high above my house earlier this afternoon. After this sequence of photos, it was harassed by a crow, which was considerably smaller; the mystery bird must have then flown further away, since I lost sight of it.

The overall shape, and size in comparison to a crow made me think it had to be an eagle. Unfortunately, the bird was high up enough against a dark, overcast sky that my camera didn't pick up much detail. I've cropped and lightened these pictures considerably. No matter how much I lighten the photos, there's no evidence of any of the white in the axillaries or underwing coverts that would be expected in a juvenile Bald Eagle. Is this possibly a Golden Eagle? Their migration through southern Ontario is mostly in March and April, so it would be a rare sighting for this date – I'm worried there's a more common alternative I'm overlooking.

raptor1.jpgraptor2.jpgraptor3.jpgraptor4.jpg

Not, I think, an eagle, which would have the leading edge of the wings straight. Maybe a Northern Harrier.

My impression of the profile is Buteo. Also: count the free primaries. An eagle would have more.

Niels

Not seeing crescents, so Red-tail for me (and Broad-wing only has 4 fingers, so not a Broadie, either).
You're absolutely right! It's weird how the mind works – looking at the pictures earlier today, it looked to me as if the underside was entirely dark, but as soon as I read your suggestion, I spotted the tell-tale belly band in my fourth picture. It turns out the hawk was even more badly back-lit than I thought at first. I turned up the brightness and contrast to frankly inhuman levels, and the belly band is finally somewhat clear:

raptor4a.jpg

Thanks for shooting me down, everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back