• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Scopoli's Shearwater off Scilly (1 Viewer)

Attached is a link to Gary Thoburn's photo of a possible Scopoli's Shearwater seen from the Birder's Pelagic out of St Marys last Friday (8th August): http://www.surfbirds.com/gallery/display.php?gallery=gallery9

What do people think - I can certainly see the features that created the interest (the white hand and much narrower dark edge to the wing compared to Cory's)

My first thought was 'Wow!' - underside to primaries, structure of the bird and the bill size all looked very promising (although usual caution in looking at bill dimensions just from one angle). As I understand it, the problem is the extent of white tongue on the underside of P10. I'm not sure of Scopoli's variation here, but its not something I'd previously noticed on Cory's images.

Here's a link to initial finders account and discussion:
http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/The_Scoporys_Shearwater_off_Scilly_August_2014.aspx?s_id=132040880

Looking at the bird as a whole, I'd be very hopefully of this slight anomaly being shown to be within Scopoli's variation.

Mark

Well I don't think it is one. I don't see enough (any?) white intruding in to the hand and others have told me that the pattern of P10 is wrong for Scopoli's. The general consensus amongst the few people I talk to is that it's not the full ticket. Those are only opinions of course and you can tick what you want! ;)

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back