• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possibly a nightjar? [AUDIO] (Greece, europe) (1 Viewer)

Dimitra_v

Greece
On march 5th I was birding at a wetland/marsh, at aroung 4 pm (sun was still up, just a little cloudy) the area has lots of thick vegetation and reeds around, as well as short trees and bushes, and I heard this sound that may or may not have been a eurasian nightjar. It is not quite clear in the audio, but there were multiple "replying" to one another, so could it be some male nightjars singing? I have no experience with these birds, and the only report of this species in the area on Ebird was from 23 years ago, so not very reliable (they may as well had gone locally extinct from the all the recent human developments...)
I read that it is not something unusual for these nocturnal birds to call or be active during that day...

Note: you will hear the sound better if you put on headphones

(edit)
I looked up the species to research it further and I found out that it is migratory.... Even if it already arrived from africa (which is highly unlikely), would it start singing so early in the year? Is it something other than a bird, like a frog or some noisy insect? If anyone knows please shed some light on this mysterious sound.

Attachments

• possible nightjar MARCH 2021.wav
    6.4 MB
Last edited:
Hello,
normally, song of Eurasian Nightjar is longer and changes hight several times. Your animal sounds like some kind of amphibian too me.

If have very limited experience, and no experience with possible species from Greece, but it sounds like a Bufotes viridis to me. Caveat: very limited experience with non-bird sounds makes this a non-identification at all!
But a Eurasian Nightjar can be excluded, imo.

Hello,
normally, song of Eurasian Nightjar is longer and changes hight several times. Your animal sounds like some kind of amphibian too me.

If have very limited experience, and no experience with possible species from Greece, but it sounds like a Bufotes viridis to me. Caveat: very limited experience with non-bird sounds makes this a non-identification at all!
But a Eurasian Nightjar can be excluded, imo.
that is what I thought at first too... but my friend asked me if there is a chance that it is a bird, and then I couldnt get that thought off my mind... thank you for your reply. Yes I realised that nightjar is copmletely off the table when I found out the species was strictly migratory

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back