• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possibly Sick Nuthatch? (1 Viewer)

Natalie

Learning Birder
There was a White-Breasted Nuthatch near the feeders today that seemed a bit off... First of all, it sat in the same place all alone for about 20 minutes, whereas usually they are extremely active, charismatic, and part of a group of three or four. Second, its feathers looked slightly disheveled (nothing horrible, but definitely noticeable). Lastly, it seemed to be extremely tired - it would start to fall asleep, slowly closing its eyes and lowering its head before jerking it up again (much like tired humans do when trying to stay awake).

It sat there for about 15-20 minutes before finally flitting off. I am concerned about this bird, because I have never seen any birds with signs of illness show up at the feeders (this nuthatch didn't visit the feeders per se, it just sat in the same tree). Does this bird sound sick or does it just sound like it was trying to take an afternoon nap? The bird activity always decreases at midday, so part of me wants to think it was just acting normally.

Here is a picture of the bird (its eyes are half-closed):

Attachments

• nuthatch.JPG
    nuthatch.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 130
Thanks for the reply. There are a lot of raptors and outdoor cats around here, so I would say it is definitely possible that it got attacked. I was just concerned if it appeared ill because I've heard lots of people say that if a sick bird visits your feeders, you should take them down and thoroughly sterilize them.

I'm not sure what happened to the nuthatch, though... They are so abundant around here that I would never be able to determine if this one got better or ended up dying.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back