• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possibly Using Spotting Scope Wrong. Advice? (1 Viewer)

anonymousbirder

United States
Hi, I just got a spotting scope. It's not a high-end one, but it got decent enough reviews on Amazon. The thing is, when I look into it, all I see is white. If I turn the zoom or focus, the white gets brighter or darker. No eyecap is on the end. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
I'd say it's defective, but I remember having similar issues with microscopes in school, so I figure I must be doing something wrong. Any advice?

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

The image getting darker while zooming to a higher magnification is expected, a change in brightness from changing focus, not so much.

How far was the object you were observing? Spotting scopes have close focus ranges well above binoculars - 10 or more meters are not unheard of.

Also for a start, I would not recommend to observe a bird on a branch against the sky... if you can't get to focus, you'll see all white... also aiming a spotter correctly is not quite as easy as binoculars so being a bit off and consequently seeing only white sky is not impossible.

For a start, I would recommend just some greenery at 30 to 100m... that way there is always sth to focus on - if you can get to focus that is.

PS: maybe you can post an image of your setup - that way we might see sth obvious...

Joachim

If the scope is a mirror scope, this is common for new users, as the focus wheel has many turns from close to far.

One can just miss the correct focus point.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

The image getting darker while zooming to a higher magnification is expected, a change in brightness from changing focus, not so much.

How far was the object you were observing? Spotting scopes have close focus ranges well above binoculars - 10 or more meters are not unheard of.

Also for a start, I would not recommend to observe a bird on a branch against the sky... if you can't get to focus, you'll see all white... also aiming a spotter correctly is not quite as easy as binoculars so being a bit off and consequently seeing only white sky is not impossible.

For a start, I would recommend just some greenery at 30 to 100m... that way there is always sth to focus on - if you can get to focus that is.

PS: maybe you can post an image of your setup - that way we might see sth obvious...

Joachim
Thank you! I was able to get it working. I think it didn't have enough light.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back