• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pot Plants for attracting birds? (1 Viewer)

Joe94

United Kingdom
Hey all,

So many of you know I have a new feeding station set up, which touch wood is already attracting new regular visitors :)

At the moment though about a meter away from the feeders to the right is the small pot plant & next to that is a large tree/bush type thing, which is offering a safe space for the birds, but I would like to add some more plants around & at the bottom of the feeding poles to offer more safe spaces when feeding & also to encourage bugs to help with the attraction of new birds.

So I wondered if anyone could reccomend any large pot plants/bushes that are very good for this purpose?

Many Thanks :)

IMG_0534 (2).jpg

A small type of ornamental willow to start the ball rolling. Wild willows and sallows are a favourite in autumn as they hold a variety of insects. Perhaps a berry fruiting cotoneaster / pyracantha or Rowan if there is space. Personally I wouldn't plant any shrubs or groundcover directly underneath the feeding poles for a couple of reasons.....some species like to forage in the open, you may need to move the poles from time to time.
Good luck.

A small type of ornamental willow to start the ball rolling. Wild willows and sallows are a favourite in autumn as they hold a variety of insects. Perhaps a berry fruiting cotoneaster / pyracantha or Rowan if there is space. Personally I wouldn't plant any shrubs or groundcover directly underneath the feeding poles for a couple of reasons.....some species like to forage in the open, you may need to move the poles from time to time.
Good luck.
Thank you very much for the tips, very much appreciated :)

I would recommend a dwarf or standard apple tree. They harbour many insects in the bark which are attractive to tits particularly. They also have the benefit of attracting bees in spring and of course the fruit in autumn. Starlings, black birds and thrushes also love the fallen apples.

Rowan and pyracantha are a good idea. Birds like their berries.

I would keep the ground under feeders bare or with short grass, for the ease of cleaning and to keep rats and mice away.

Christmas Box - sarcococca confusa - has berries which are loved by the birds in our garden and has the bonus of tiny, white, very strongly scented flowers.

Hey all,

So many of you know I have a new feeding station set up, which touch wood is already attracting new regular visitors :)

At the moment though about a meter away from the feeders to the right is the small pot plant & next to that is a large tree/bush type thing, which is offering a safe space for the birds, but I would like to add some more plants around & at the bottom of the feeding poles to offer more safe spaces when feeding & also to encourage bugs to help with the attraction of new birds.

So I wondered if anyone could reccomend any large pot plants/bushes that are very good for this purpose?

Many Thanks :)

View attachment 1359379
I like this photo! 2 questions.

What is in the feeder, and which birds come?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back