• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prairie Falcon or Peregrine Falcon (or other)? - Portland, OR USA (1 Viewer)

coltrv

Saw this falcon-like bird today flying over Powell Butte Nature Park in Portland, Oregon. All I had was my phone, so this video is pretty bad quality. However, I hope you can still get a general idea of the bird’s coloration. The bird also vocalizes near the end of the video, which will hopefully make identification easier. I think it’s either a prairie falcon or a peregrine falcon. Peregrine makes more sense because of range, but I thought the vocalizations sounded more like the prairie falcon. Could also be a kestrel or merlin or something, but I don’t think so. Anyways, here’s the link to the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nLdvUBQ81aHAJ4Z-l-YTq1fnteWHb7pS/view?usp=drivesdk

Let me know if you have any issues viewing the video.

All I would say is that the calls at video end, didn’t sound like Peregrine to my ears. :eek!:

All I would say is that the calls at video end, didn’t sound like Peregrine to my ears. :eek!:

It actually does sound a lot like the Sibley App recording of a Peregrine Falcon. So much so that I was going to suggest that it was probably a Peregrine Falcon before I read your comment. It also is a close match to the third recording of North American Peregrine Falcon on the Merlin Bird ID app for the Mexico bird pack.

Last edited:
So Ken, that's your eyes and your ears gone......;)

“Just testin” smile...someone’s got to keep the ID police on their toes. ;)

On a more serious note! The only Peregrine vocal that I’ve ever heard, are their high pitched screaming calls which I’ve often heard resounding the colonnades of Canary Wharf.

As for the high pitched reeling of Locustellas and Crests...include me out.

However all other departments are firing on all cylinders! and remember Andy, it’s better to have scored...than never. ;)

People ae saying that it sounds like a Peregrine, is the call of Prairie Falcon very distinct from that of a Peregrine?

Calls sound OK for Peregrine to me too, and I couldn't see any black axillaries when it turned and caught the light from below - I'd think they'd show if it had been a Prairie Falcon.

Prairie Falcon also only mapped in the dry country east of the Cascades, Portland is a bit out of range for it.

Prairie Falcon also only mapped in the dry country east of the Cascades, Portland is a bit out of range for it.

A bit out of range, but not unheard of. From what I can find, Prairie Falcon was last reported in Portland in 2017.

It does sound very much like Peregrine Falcon calls I have heard near nest sites. I am not familiar with Prairie Falcon calls however.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back