• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pretty good day in Marin. Co California (1 Viewer)

connorco

United States
This is a report from yesterday. Central Marin isn't birded too often, and especially the areas I went to yesterday. I started off at Alpine Lake, where the best birds were. At the beginning there were 4 Wilson's Snipe, pretty nice bird for central Marin, one of which started flying through the middle of the first, definitely something you don't see every day. Along the trail there were many birds that are fairly unusual locally, such as 30 Red-breasted Nuthatch, getting close to the county high-count, and good numbers for Varied Thrush, which don't seem to be having a great year. The bet bird of the day was along this trail, a Townsend's Solitare. They winter in tiny numbers (>5) atop the highest mountain in the country, but this was at a low elevation ~630 feet. Later, further away in a tiny marsh in the middle of a forest, I saw a Song Sparrow so dark I thought it was one of the PNW subspecies, but it ended up being an extremely dark local bird. These birds were probably inbred, so that's why I'm guessing it was so dark. On the Ridgeline heading back I had lots (10+) Thick-billed Fox Sparrow, in a wintering population I discovered a month ago. Mixed in were a few Slate-Coloreds, also pretty rare. On the way back to my bike, I found a interesting junco which is up for debate right now, either a really wonky Oregon, or (more likely in my opinion) a Pink-sided x Oregon.

SueO

Very nice area to bird. Have a cousin in San Rafael, and have stayed with her as a base. Have always loved Muir Woods.

Users who are viewing this thread