• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prince Maximilian in Pionus maximiliani ... in latin!? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
As I understand it the Scaly-headed Parrot Pionus maximiliani KUHL 1820 (a k a "Maximilian's Parrot") commemorates the Prussian Militaire, Aristocrat, bouth Count (Graf) and Prince (Prinz): Maximilian Alexander Philipp Graf zu Wied-Neuwied (1782–1867), a k a "Prinz zu Wied".

When Heinrich Kuhl gave this specie the name of "Psittacus Maximiliani" in 1820 he only renamed the (pre-occupied) ""Psittacus cyanurus" (unpublished) of Maximilian von Wied - who himself discovered the specie in Brazil 1815–1817. Kuhl then motivated the new name with the following phrase:
"Psitt. cyanurus Princ. Maximil. Nomen Principis Maximiliani mutavi, quia SHAW alium Psittacum cyanuri nomine descripsit."

Since I don´t know any latin, I wonder if there is any Bird Forum readers who does, and feel like translating it? If so, please as accurate as possible, as I would like to quote Kuhl myself in Swedish. And don´t hesitate to remark on any errors that I might have done transcribing it!

Anyone feel up to the task?

--------------------------------

PS. The same Prince Maximilian is also (accordning to various sources) commemorated in, for example; Olive-crowned Crescent-chest Melanopareia maximiliani d'ORBIGNY 1835 and Great-billed Seed-Finch Oryzoborus (nuttingi) maximiliani CABANIS 1851.

Last edited:
Psitt. cyanurus Princ. Maximil. Nomen Principis Maximiliani mutavi, quia SHAW alium Psittacum cyanuri nomine descripsit.

Psitt. cyanurus Princ. Maximil. I have changed the name, Prince Maximilian's, as Shaw has described another parrot under the name cyanurus.

Thank you Rick!

That makes me able to finish my entry on Maximilian!

And ... just for the fun of it; according to World Bird Info (See link: http://worldbirdinfo.net/Pages/BirdsSearch.aspx) it´s noteworthy that the "Psittacus cyanurus" that Heinrich Kuhl refered too in this quote, the "Psittacus cyanurus" by George Shaw (from Shaw's General Zoology 1812, based on Levaillant's "Perroquet lori à queue bleue" 1805), later was found synonymous with the nominate form of Red Lory Eos bornea LINNAEUS 1758! And that Kuhl apparently completely forgot, or ignored, the "Psittacus cyanurus" by his fellow countryman Johann Reinhold Forster (today's Blue-rumped Parrot Psittinus cyanurus J. R. FORSTER 1795 a k a "Blue-rumped Parakeet")!

That´s all!

Prince Maximilian ... over and out!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back