• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Prinia, Hainan, China (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

This looks like Plain Prinia to me but some pictures I was looking at of Yellow-bellied had a similar pale color in the belly. Maybe the longer eyebrow makes it Plain over Yellow-bellied? Any comments to help me differentiate prinia 7.jpg prinia 9.jpg would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Grahame Walbridge

Last edited:

johnallcock

I agree this is a Plain Prinia for the reasons given by Grahame. Yellow-bellied has more contrasting plumage.

But I do have one minor comment on Grahame's response. I would not consider the upperparts of Yellow-bellied sonitans to be rufous - the wings and tail do have a slightly rufous tone, but the mantle is actually more olive (in fact, juveniles are quite green above and can be confused with tailorbirds).

Grahame Walbridge

I agree this is a Plain Prinia for the reasons given by Grahame. Yellow-bellied has more contrasting plumage.

But I do have one minor comment on Grahame's response. I would not consider the upperparts of Yellow-bellied sonitans to be rufous - the wings and tail do have a slightly rufous tone, but the mantle is actually more olive (in fact, juveniles are quite green above and can be confused with tailorbirds).
Thanks for the corrction John, the mantle is quite clearly olive-toned.

Grahame

Hainan on the fly

Hi Brian,

Your bird is a Plain Prinia ssp. extensicauda characterised by its uniform rich buff underparts.

Yellow-bellied ssp. sonitans which is resident in Hainan differs in having a shorter, white brow which terminates at the rear of the eye, warmer rufous upper parts and paler throat and breast contrasting with buff belly and vent.

For comparison http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=166161&Bird_ID=2053&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

Grahame
Excellent! Thanks Grahame. That is very helpful.

Cheers,

Brian

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread