• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Priory Fields (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Paid another visit to Priory Fields, which I like as I can walk there.

As I entered the reserve I looked down at the angler's pool next door (I have never seen anyone fishing there, ever). My attention was caught by a Grey Heron flying across the pool but then imagine my surprise as I panned round to see a Little Egret there, the first such sighting I have had at this location. I walked along the path a couple of yards to get a better view and was chuffed to realise I had a Kingfisher in view between me and the Egret!

Then I found a Goldcrest flitting around in the trees. What a great start to the morning.

Rob

As I entered the reserve I looked down at the angler's pool next door (I have never seen anyone fishing there, ever). My attention was caught by a Grey Heron flying across the pool but then imagine my surprise as I panned round to see a Little Egret there, the first such sighting I have had at this location. I walked along the path a couple of yards to get a better view and was chuffed to realise I had a Kingfisher in view between me and the Egret!
Then I found a Goldcrest flitting around in the trees. What a great start to the morning.
Rob

Nice one Rob, as I remember you can't get much view of the pool? Did you look over the fence from Priory Fields?

Rob

I wonder if this is the same Egret that was seen along the Cole late last year.

Des.

I wonder if this is the same Egret that was seen along the Cole late last year.

Des.

I wondered if it possibly could have been the same one as last years......which was here.... Truemans Heath Lane bridge (SP098773).

Just for something to look at heres a couple of snaps of last years bird.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 26 113 a.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 26 113 a.jpg low.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2014 Canon 11 014 A.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 11 014 A.jpg low.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 46
Tried to find the reserve today .......saw the fishing pool on Priory road but not how to get "round the back" for the reserve.
Is there any parking places ?

Tried to find the reserve today .......saw the fishing pool on Priory road but not how to get "round the back" for the reserve.
Is there any parking places ?

No, there are no car parking spaces, you will have to park on the road. Try Bach Mill Drive as it's nice and quiet. As you stand on Priory Rd looking at the pool the entrance is at roughly 3 o'clock.

When I went back the following day I saw 4 Goosanders, three male and one female. Again, I've never seen them there before.

I returned this morning and had 1 L Egret flying over the reserve, a sparrowhawk, a buzzard, grey wagtail and lots of bullfinches. 27 species in all in 50 minutes.

Paid my first visit to Priory Fields today, before moving on to the Stratford Canal and then back to Trittiford. In contrast to the first thread there were three Little Egrets on the neighbouring Mill Pool and two Heron. It looked a very promising area with a diversity of species and I will be back.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back