• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with green coating of EL SV 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Just got back to the UK where my 'bins' were waiting for me after repair. They have been re-armoured, unnecessarily in my view but that aside, it means that I now have the suspect, new recipe on them so we'll see how we go!

Just got back to the UK where my 'bins' were waiting for me after repair. They have been re-armoured, unnecessarily in my view but that aside, it means that I now have the suspect, new recipe on them so we'll see how we go!
Just to recap ..what was the reason you send the binos in ???

Just to recap ..what was the reason you send the binos in ???
The left eye piece had detached and the cover on the focus wheel was slipping so not turning the wheel, no issues with the armour apart from a small piece of the logo sticking up.

Just had the receipt and the repair would have cost over £800 had I not been given it for free.

Interesting thread. Started June 6. 25 pages in. Is this a record? Curiously, this is not a new problem. Its been regularly and recently, (other threads) discussed here for years... Why the vehemence? Why now? Long enough Swaro! Maybe?

One input from another must be unnamed Swaro source, that has not been discussed to date. The armor doesn't just fall off EL/SLC/NL. It doesn't happen suddenly or soon. Based on reporting, it requires a few years and maybe hard use to happen. Surely this is why ELs experience it more often than NLs as the latter haven't been around long enough... yet. There's the rub. Swarovski knows about this and is working on a solution. Hints are its a new chemical formulation. BUT, how in the short term, can they make sure the new armor formulation is the fix? Can a lab, reliably reproduce the wear, tear, time, sunlight, chemical exposures that cause this to happen.... quickly? How can Swarovski simulate what takes a few years to occur in the short order we seem to be demanding to fix this now? They cant.

Ill take a shot at the question posed in Paragraph 1. On May 27 I started a thread, Is it just me?. Armor issues were listed there along with several other chronic complaints. Confess I was surprised at what seemed offense some took at what I wrote. Yet here we are. So, why does Swarovski allow this to happen? Im not talking about the physical issues - armor, glare, fieldpro, flat field, fogging, finger dents. Some of these are not even issues, though you wouldn't know it from BF conversation. I am asking about customer relations. Why does Swarovski think it's cool not to come here and explain, intercede, acknowledge? This is not the luxury crystal business. Binoculars are tools, that get used, sometimes hard. Charging what they do, often many times what one can purchase a reasonably fine functioning competitors unit for, why do they ignore Birdforum the way they do? In a world where social media is increasingly where impressions are made, why?

Gramps, I was recently trying to buy a used vehicle. The prices for some, were higher than the sticker they had been sold under, and higher than factory (in this case it was a Yota truck). Inventory was very low (chip stuff). But I finally asked a dealer 'why' used vehicle prices were crazy and they coolly replied 'because we can'.

You want the bird/red-dot/blue-logo, you want 'best' FOV, brand recognition... You gotta pay to play!

Of course I'm being tongue-in-cheek. Labor costs are prolly higher in Austria/Germany/Portugal. ANd the optical quality is superb.

Gramps, I was recently trying to buy a used vehicle. The prices for some, were higher than the sticker they had been sold under, and higher than factory (in this case it was a Yota truck). Inventory was very low (chip stuff). But I finally asked a dealer 'why' used vehicle prices were crazy and they coolly replied 'because we can'.

You want the bird/red-dot/blue-logo, you want 'best' FOV, brand recognition... You gotta pay to play!

Of course I'm being tongue-in-cheek. Labor costs are prolly higher in Austria/Germany/Portugal. ANd the optical quality is superb.
Yea I know about the car bus thing. Covid, chips, supply lines, hybrid, plugin hybrid, electric, gas. Not the time to buy.

You gotta pay to play? Of course, but why make the "pay" (not just $) thing so weird? In case there's any confusion, I love my ELs and NLS. Not a collector, I'm about done buying. Though still the recovering gearhead, I shop.

Labor, labor cost, back in my day was a much more consequential thing than it is today. I was there for the transition. Computers are sending many home, where they can now find the time to go look though their binos if they can afford them......

25 pages, just on this one topic alone? That is not a good use of time for anyone getting paid a salary. If I ran Swaro I'd ban my employees from coming here during work hours :):) What a colossal time-waster. The armor problem is worse for Swaro than anyone else, it's costing them money, they're well aware of what's going on.

Re #484, hope its OK to marry a couple thoughts. Swaro prematurely failing armor is not a new thing. Swarovski is and has been aware, for some time. As has been written elsewhere such knowledge is one goal of a modern quality management system. We would not be experiencing the otherwise superb unit to unit quality of Swarovski optics if they did not have such a system. Companies endure, indeed pay for, liberal customer service policies such as we experience with Swarovski, as they are one of the best sources of information for how products do in the hands of users. If a company does not know it has a problem it cant fix it, it can be hurt by it. Hence the double value of an organized customer service program. Customers are made whole/happy. Stuff gets fixed, problems go away. Everyone wins. While it takes time to understand if the newest armor formulation fix is the one, (see 484). The good news is the task didnt start with this set of posts, but rather had been caught by the above and experiments to find the solution are underway.

At least one can hope....

Why does Swarovski think it's cool not to come here and explain, intercede, acknowledge?
In their place, I wouldn't touch a thread like this, especially since they actually do have a problem and need to be careful what they say about it, and clearly nothing could possibly satisfy those complaining here anyway, not even "we're working on it, and meanwhile we'll replace disintegrating armor", because they're in a situation they feel they shouldn't be and don't like it, just as I would if any of my bins had developed this problem. This is not a failure of customer relations.

I suspect the reason this thread keeps going on and on is some desire to reach a verdict on whether one should buy Swaros anymore. Since most customers are having no problem, the general answer is clearly Yes. But on an individual basis, one worries what degrees or conditions of use (like tropical climate) are associated with greater likelihood of failure, and on that we seem to have learned about all that's possible for now. The only remaining question is when a new armor formula will appear, and how we will find out. I'm sure the marketing types have lost some sleep over that already.

In their place, I wouldn't touch a thread like this, especially since they actually do have a problem and need to be careful what they say about it, and clearly nothing could possibly satisfy those complaining here anyway, not even "we're working on it, and meanwhile we'll replace disintegrating armor", because they're in a situation they feel they shouldn't be and don't like it, just as I would if any of my bins had developed this problem. This is not a failure of customer relations.
Neither would I touch a thread like this. Thats not the point though. In #484 I wrote: "Interesting thread. Started June 6. 25 pages in. Is this a record? Curiously, this is not a new problem. Its been regularly and recently, (other threads) discussed here for years... Why the vehemence? Why now? ...." Thats the key. This is a long known, often discussed, problem here at BF.

Good customer relations start well before a thread like this. This thread is the result of the cumulative effect of less than best CR on this topic. Arguably, this thread would not have happened had there been a different approach to Swarovski's messaging. Writing very generally, whats known as Public Relations deals with broader issues effecting the company, its employees and share holders that become local, national or international "news." Things like labor issues, strikes, or a catastrophic event, e.g. an explosion or water pollution, for instance. The Marketing Communications function is more specific to products, and customers. For the latter, whatever the media, (magazines, YouTube, WWW, online forums), management is required. When all is going well, it can be auto pilot. However a company spends advertising dollars, the message is working, sales are going up, customers are happy. When a thing goes awry, as in the case of this TPU based armor, work is required. It starts with the physical - recognizing the problem, how big is it, what's its nature, then searching for the fix. If as has been suggested here, the problem takes time to occur, therefore finding the fix will take time, at that point, with that knowledge, managing the message is key to avoiding the confusion and potential ill will generated by whats happening here.

This is a failure of customer relations.

Neither would I touch a thread like this. Thats not the point though. In #484 I wrote: "Interesting thread. Started June 6. 25 pages in. Is this a record? Curiously, this is not a new problem. Its been regularly and recently, (other threads) discussed here for years... Why the vehemence? Why now? ...." Thats the key. This is a long known, often discussed, problem here at BF.

Good customer relations start well before a thread like this. This thread is the result of the cumulative effect of less than best CR on this topic. Arguably, this thread would not have happened had there been a different approach to Swarovski's messaging. Writing very generally, whats known as Public Relations deals with broader issues effecting the company, its employees and share holders that become local, national or international "news." Things like labor issues, strikes, or a catastrophic event, e.g. an explosion or water pollution, for instance. The Marketing Communications function is more specific to products, and customers. For the latter, whatever the media, (magazines, YouTube, WWW, online forums), management is required. When all is going well, it can be auto pilot. However a company spends advertising dollars, the message is working, sales are going up, customers are happy. When a thing goes awry, as in the case of this TPU based armor, work is required. It starts with the physical - recognizing the problem, how big is it, what's its nature, then searching for the fix. If as has been suggested here, the problem takes time to occur, therefore finding the fix will take time, at that point, with that knowledge, managing the message is key to avoiding the confusion and potential ill will generated by whats happening here.

Well said, all of it, especially the last sentence.

This is a long known, often discussed, problem here at BF.
It is not "long known" or "often discussed", the TPU armor only dates from 2015 and the problem often takes several years to develop. There have only been a couple of previous threads about it, and only just now has this one arrived at some clarity as to a product quality issue, vs mistreatment. So asking why all the fuss now makes no sense.
This thread is the result of the cumulative effect of less than best CR on this topic.
This thread is the result of disintegration of armor. CR/marketing types must just think everything is about CR/marketing...
Arguably, this thread would not have happened had there been a different approach to Swarovski's messaging.
No "messaging" can make owners of $2-3k binoculars whose armor is falling apart "happy".
... ... ...

This is a failure of materials design.

Last edited:
I dunno, just a quick search.

Swarovski SLC 10X42 Rubber Casing Fault. Mick Sway's anecdotal to be sure, #1 dated 2021 reports his ELs armor failed and were repaired in 2020 after 6 years of use. That makes it 2014? 3 friends have same after 5. Yes anecdotal but read on through. Note John Roberts #6, with its fuller description and link to Patudo's 15 page discussion of the issue from 2019, EL 10x42 casing deterioration.

18 pages in these 2, added to the 25? Seems long enough. Discussed often enough. Suppose one can debate what long enough means....

This thread is indeed about armor disintegration AND customer reaction AND Swarovski's response. Surely you can see that?

CR/marketing types? Got anyone in mind? Please tell us what you think marketing is.

Messaging cant help? Whew!

This is about a failure of materials choice. Cant blame materials design.

Hi Hermann, nice to see you again.

Last edited:
This is about a failure of materials choice. Cant blame materials design.
I confess I don't recall whether CR or marketing is actually your area of competence, but if that's a difference I can't get interested in it, and doubt that many people whose armor is falling off could either.

Last edited:
I confess I don't recall whether CR or marketing is actually your area of competence, but if that's a difference I can't get interested in it, and doubt that many people whose armor is falling off could either.
Not sure what you’re trying to say here Tenex. I asked if you’d be willing to share with us what you understand marketing to be above. This doesn't seem a response to that. Im willing to engage with you about your perception, based on my experience. To clear up one point of apparent confusion, I was not a Customer Relations guy. Those folks were directly across the hall. I knew them well as we had to coordinate things from time to time. That function is not the marketing work Im wondering what you know about.

Not sure I would dare try to guess what folks here are interested in as conversations do tend to go here and there. Would think some might like to have an idea how things work, how designs occur, how fixes happen when things go awry. That’s just me of course. Suspect some might already know….. in fact some here are potentially more up to date than am I.

Last edited:
Not sure what you’re trying to say here Tenex.
Perhaps that's because you're not paying attention. I questioned your distinction between "materials design" and "materials choice", not CR and marketing. In any case, I have little patience for mere talk, or talk about talk, for unimportant jargon, spin, "messaging", virtue-signaling etc when simple facts are at issue, and real problems need actual solutions, and that sort of person will not be coming up with them. "Fixes happen" when someone who can, does. This thread is about a product quality issue that public relations can't fix. But I've said that already, so perhaps you just need to try a little harder to understand. Or more likely, based on past experience, it's not a good idea to exchange any more posts.

Last edited:
Utilizing appropriate channels I have received replacement objective lens amour.
Despite the Bird Forum maelstrom that this thread embodies, I will purchase future product from SwarovskiOptik

IMG_2364.jpeg

The SLC (2017) armour is more leather like and seems to be a lot tougher than the newer armour on the later models of EL and NL.

I'm glad I stuck with my SLCs and didn't get tempted to buy the NL

I bought my EL SV 8x32 new in May 2019 and I have just noticed that the green plastic coating has started to peel off just where my right thumb touches the barrel. Has anyone noticed the problem of the green material peeling off, either there or elsewhere on the binoculars.

These are the first alpha binoculars that I have owned and I am extremely disappointed as my previously owned binoculars of lesser repute have never had this sort of problem. Of course the optical performance of the Swarovski bins remains excellent.

Mike
I had a pair of 8x32 swarovisions from about 2014 until recently. Great optically but last year the armoring began peeling off. I sent them to SONA and they recovered them and sent them back 6 weeks later. Perfect job! This is the reason that I buy swaros - the after sales service!

Utilizing appropriate channels I have received replacement objective lens amour.
Despite the Bird Forum maelstrom that this thread embodies, I will purchase future product from SwarovskiOptik

View attachment 1522950
:ROFLMAO: So the new armour is environmentally friendly but the objective covers "could" cause cancer???
Very well for the environment but try not to touch the objective covers too much.
Birth defect?? uffff I guess Peter parker´s spider changed DNA less than the objetive covers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back