• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: The Opticron Savanna WP 8 x 30 (1 Viewer)

Hello Everyone,

Please find a link to my completed review of the Opticron Savanna WP 8 x 30 porro prism binocular.

I hope you find it informative!

With best wishes,

Neil.
Dear Dr. English,

Greetings from Michigan, USA!

Thank you for your review of the Opticron Savanna WP 8x30 binoculars.

I am new to binocular based wildlife monitoring and keep reading about porro and roof prism designs and the relative merits of both. Am curious about porro binoculars and based on your very positive review I ordered the Opticron Savanna WP 8x30. They will arrive in the next few days. Your comments are very useful in helping me understand what kind of experience I might have with my Savanna WP 8x30. The stereopsis you describe associated with porro prism binoculars is that which has me most curious, sounds great! Your comments about build quality, etc. is also appreciated.

I currently own only the Vortex Viper HD 8x42. I assume (based on pricing) that the image found using my Viper HD is similar to that provided by the GPO 10x32 Passion ED, that you used in evaluating the image quality of the Savanna WP. That the Savanna WP fared well relative to the GPO Passion ED is encouraging given that I am satisfied by the view of my Viper HD 8x42.

I appreciate your well written report and the effort invested in providing it, thank you again!

Hello Everyone,

Please find a link to my completed review of the Opticron Savanna WP 8 x 30 porro prism binocular.

With best wishes,

Neil.
Hello Everyone,

With best wishes,

Neil.
Dear Neil,
I may have missed out, not being able to find the discontinued Opticron Imagic TGA WP 8x32 vs. the Savanna WP 8x30 I ordered? Just read your review of the Imagic TGA WP 8x32 and looks to be a much better binocular. Better lens coating and build quality? Is the difference between these two worth a continued search for the Imagic TGA WP 8x32 and not keeping the Savanna WP? Do you know of any current source for the Imagic TGA WP 8x32? Other suggestions for an available unit with similar attributes and pricing of the Imagic TGA WP 8x32?
I find your recent research into compact porro prism binoculars most interesting.
Thank you, Don

Hello Don,

Greetings from Scotland!

Many thanks indeed for the feedback. Most appreciated.

Yes, indeed, I've taken a real shine to these smaller, compact porros. Exceptional value for money!

The Opticron Savanna 8 x 30 WP and TGA WP 8 x 32 are real sweet binos. I would rate them very similarly from an optical standpoint. There is a notable difference in the fields of view though: the Savanna has a 7.5 degree field while the TGA has a 7.0 FOV. The latter also has even better eye relief than the former ( 21mm versus 18mm as I remember).

I found their central sharpness to be similar to mid-priced roofs and both have a nice, wide sweet spot. I would welcome your feedback regarding your comparisons between the Savanna and the Vortex Viper, though the latter has a 42mm aperture.

I am currently testing the Opticron SR.GA 8 x 32 (made in Japan) and absolutely love it. It's more old school than the Savanna and TGA series, with smaller ocular lenses, but it is armoured which will help protect it from knocks and light rain etc. Will post my findings on that instrument once I'm done. Pic attached.

With best wishes,

Neil.

.IMG_3589.jpg

Hello Don,

Greetings from Scotland!

Yes, indeed, I've taken a real shine to these smaller, compact porros. Exceptional value for money!

The Opticron Savanna 8 x 30 WP and TGA WP 8 x 32 are real sweet binos. I would rate them very similarly from an optical standpoint. There is a notable difference in the fields of view though: the Savanna has a 7.5 degree field while the TGA has a 7.0 FOV. The latter also has even better eye relief than the former ( 21mm versus 18mm as I remember).

I found their central sharpness to be similar to mid-priced roofs and both have a nice, wide sweet spot. I would welcome your feedback regarding your comparisons between the Savanna and the Vortex Viper, though the latter has a 42mm aperture.

I am currently testing the Opticron SR.GA 8 x 32 (made in Japan) and absolutely love it. It's more old school than the Savanna and TGA series, with smaller ocular lenses, but it is armoured which will help protect it from knocks and light rain etc. Will post my findings on that instrument once I'm done. Pic attached.

With best wishes,

Neil.

.View attachment 1446795
Hi Neil,
Thanks for your response. My sister and husband returned this past Sunday from a trip to Scotland, a beautiful country per their report.
The Opticron SR.GA 8 x 32 looks really great, high end lens system. Might be discontinued here. Opticron USA website doesn't indicate that but online retailers I have checked are out of stock/"discontinued". I will contact Opticron USA regarding availability. Look forward to your findings regarding the Opticron SR.GA 8 x 32!
Thank you,
Don

The SR.GA doesn't appear on the opticronusa website. If you type in "SR.GA" it shows with a reference to the fact that the search might show a discontinued product. Regards, Pat

Hello Don,

Glad your sister and husband enjoyed the trip over. This time of year is just magical here. This far north(56N), we get very long days, with great evening light and the wonderful gloaming before sunset. Much of June and July brings twilight so it doesn't get properly dark, allowing me to extend my glassing adventures very late into the evening. It's the opposite in winter though; long long nights!

The Opticron compact porros have been a godsend. To be honest, they were completely below my radar until relatively recently, but I'm so very glad I tried them. I do hope the company can keep producing these wonderful instruments for a new generation.

With best wishes,

Neil.

The SR.GA doesn't appear on the opticronusa website. If you type in "SR.GA" it shows with a reference to the fact that the search might show a discontinued product. Regards, Pat
It is a discontinued binocular. I spoke with Cindy at Wild Birds Unlimited in Lexington SC 1-803-951-2070 and she said she spoke with the rep (in Europe) and there were 5 pairs still available, and that she would sell me a pair for the retail price of $315.
Anyone interested?

It is a discontinued binocular. I spoke with Cindy at Wild Birds Unlimited in Lexington SC 1-803-951-2070 and she said she spoke with the rep (in Europe) and there were 5 pairs still available, and that she would sell me a pair for the retail price of $315.
Anyone interested?
Thanks for the information. I actually placed an order for an SR.GA this morning with Front Range Birding Co.
Sounds as if Neil is generating excitement!
BTW, Chip Clouse, Opticron USA Customer Service is a really helpful and pleasant resource.

Hello,

"The ocular field lenses are large( 21mm in diameter), making eye placement easier to achieve and comfortable to place one’s eyes against"-Neil's review.

The size of the ocular lenses, or more specifically, the field stop, determines the field of view. I believe that the size of the exit pupil determines ease of eye placement, ceteris paribus. For me, 3.75mm seems to mark the difference between ease and difficulty.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

Hello Don,

Greetings from Scotland!

With best wishes,

Neil.

.View attachment 1446795
Hello Neil,
Received my SR.GA 8x32 two days ago and I really like how it is built and ergonomics. Spent time outside today with it and my only other binoculars, Vortex Viper 8x42. Mostly cloudy with occasional sunshine. While basically the same view/magnification and FOV, the SR.GA seemed brighter and had better resolution (not dramatic but apparent for both features). At 60 yards the seeds at the tops of tall grass a bit more crisp than the Viper. Definition/contrast/color of feathers on the back of a robin at 40 yards also better. These observations may not be a surprise to you but I am pleased. The only issue is that minimum IPD of the SR.GA is absolutely at MY maximum IPD. Have to be really careful with my eye placement to get a proper view and it is a bit distracting. Published IPD minimum of SR.GA is 58 vs. 55mm for Viper and I use the Viper not quite at minimum without issue. Is the smaller eye relief of 13mm (SR.GA) vs. 18mm (Viper) a contributing factor? I do not use glasses when viewing through binoculars, have rubber cups on eye pieces up/deployed. I would like (but don't know how to safely take bino. apart) to remove some material from chassis/"hinge stops" to reduce IPD minimum. Would make the SR.GA just that much nicer for me.
I want to thank you for your introduction to and review of the SR.GA 8x32, I really like them!
Don

Hello Don,

So very glad you received the SR.GA 8 x 32, and thanks a million for your feedback. I totally agree with your assessment in regard to its performance in relation to the Viper 8x 42 HD, which is itself a fine binocular. I find the views in these porros to be uniquely immersive; so easy on the eyes! It's certainly true that a high quality porro like the SR.GA can compete very favourably with roof prism models under £500. Sure, the eye relief is tight on these models but like you, I don't wear glasses while using binoculars, so I can engage fully with the entire field. The less expensive Savanna and TGA WP models both have much greater eye relief for those who need it, but you sacrifice a bit of fov with these.

Re: IPD ranges. I found this link informative:

Incidentally, the Savanna 8 x 30 reviewed above has a minimum IPD of 50mm, great for folk with closer spaced eyes. My own IPD is about 65mm so I've never encountered any of the issues you mention. I'd be very interested to hear what future action you decide on regarding removing some material near the hinge stops. If it were me I'd probably leave it, if you can live with using it at its minimum IPD.

I've adopted the SR.GA 8x 32 as my main field binocular with no regrets. It's such a sweet instrument ergonomically and optically. I just wish I came across these instruments a few years back when I was starting out. It would have saved me a small fortune.
IMG_3699 (1).jpg

With best wishes,
Neil.

Hello Don,

So very glad you received the SR.GA 8 x 32, and thanks a million for your feedback. I totally agree with your assessment in regard to its performance in relation to the Viper 8x 42 HD, which is itself a fine binocular. I find the views in these porros to be uniquely immersive; so easy on the eyes! It's certainly true that a high quality porro like the SR.GA can compete very favourably with roof prism models under £500. Sure, the eye relief is tight on these models but like you, I don't wear glasses while using binoculars, so I can engage fully with the entire field. The less expensive Savanna and TGA WP models both have much greater eye relief for those who need it, but you sacrifice a bit of fov with these.

Re: IPD ranges. I found this link informative:

Incidentally, the Savanna 8 x 30 reviewed above has a minimum IPD of 50mm, great for folk with closer spaced eyes. My own IPD is about 65mm so I've never encountered any of the issues you mention. I'd be very interested to hear what future action you decide on regarding removing some material near the hinge stops. If it were me I'd probably leave it, if you can live with using it at its minimum IPD.

I've adopted the SR.GA 8x 32 as my main field binocular with no regrets. It's such a sweet instrument ergonomically and optically. I just wish I came across these instruments a few years back when I was starting out. It would have saved me a small fortune.
View attachment 1450927Good

With best wishes,
Neil.
Hello Neil,
I'm glad you continue to enjoy your SR.GA 8x32. I feel lucky to have found a new copy given that it is a discontinued product, and the view!
Mine are currently sitting in their desiccant laden "sarcophagus" awaiting future adventures!
Good luck with writing your new book, I'm sure many will be looking forward to reading it.
Take care,
Don

Hello Neil,
I'm glad you continue to enjoy your SR.GA 8x32. I feel lucky to have found a new copy given that it is a discontinued product, and the view!
Mine are currently sitting in their desiccant laden "sarcophagus" awaiting future adventures!
Good luck with writing your new book, I'm sure many will be looking forward to reading it.
Take care,
Don
Thanks Don!
I have my work cut out for me with this new project, but I hope there will be something for everyone, and for all budgets.
With best wishes,

Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back