• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pseudhirundo griseopyga andrewi (Williams,JG, 1966) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

OD of Hirundo andrewi here.

The The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims

Andrew E. Williams is a botanist who co-authored Field Guide to Orchids of North America (1983). He also wrote, together with his father, J. G. Williams (q.v.), A Field Guide to the Orchids of Britain and Europe, with North Africa and Middle East (1978).

So this seems correct from OD. If it was his father I do not see from OD as it is only written:

named in honour of the collector, Mr. Andrew E. Williams

The question is, wouldn't I as a father not claim as well my son?

So if his father was John George Williams (1913–1997). It should be Andrew Etheridge Williams as claimed here. No idea about his life dates and and of course he may still alive.

Björn Bergenholtz

... also known as "Calalp"
Quick one ...

Martin, I think you're on the right track ... Type here: "Collected by A. E. Williams and presented by J. G. Williams of the Coryndon Museum, Nairobi.", which (yes) ought to be that and this guy: "John George Williams (1913-1997)":

[...]
Williams was no stranger to museums, have previously worked at the National Museum of Wales as an ornithologist and taxidermist, and the Coryndon Museum in Nairobi, Kenya, as Curator of Birds. During his time in Kenya a species of bird was named for him, Williams’s Lark, Mirafra williamsi, and also two subspecies, Calandrella cinerea williamsi (a subspecies of the Red-capped Lark) and Seicercus umbrovirens williamsi (a subspecies of the Brown Woodland Warbler).

[and onwards ... + further down the page]

Books by JG Williams
[...]
A Field Guide to Orchids in North America (1983), with his son, Andrew A. E. [sic ... !?] Williams, ...
A Field Guide to the Orchids of Britain and Europe (1978) JG & Andrew Williams"
Also see the Obituaries of J. G. Williams; here or here.

Good luck finding the dedicatee himself; this/his/the Son Andrew [as in "Andrew's Swallow Hirundo andrewi" (regardless if it's "aberrant", or not)]

Björn

PS. And remember, as always, be careful with posting of exact dates, if you, or anyone else, find any (that is, if he's still alive, of course), simply due to the risk of Identity theft. A Birth year itself is less risky.
--

Last edited:

PScofield

John George Lyal Williams

1913-1997

Andrew Arthur Etheridge Williams (c. 1946 - )

Worked in Western Australias Department of Biodiversity, Conservation & Attractions

Published in Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society in March 2020 so although retired he is still going.

I suspect there are two Andrew Etheridge Williams as two of Worldcat's records are on Rock music.

P

Björn Bergenholtz

... also known as "Calalp"
Andrew Arthur Etheridge Williams (c. 1946 - )

Worked in Western Australias Department of Biodiversity, Conservation & Attractions

Published in Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society in March 2020 so although retired he is still going.
The Paper itself confirmed:
Michael F. Braby, E. D. Edwards & Andrew Arthur Etheridge Williams. March 2020. A New Species of Sun-Moth, Synemon kimberleyensis sp. nov. (Lepidoptera: Castniidae), from the Kimberley in Western Australia. Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society 74 (1): pp.31–42 [here].

ResearchGate profile for the latter Author here.

/B
--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread