• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ptilinopus leclancheri gironieri (J. Verreaux & Des Murs, 1862) and others (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Ptilinopus leclancheri gironieri (J. Verreaux & Des Murs, 1862) OD here and plate
Cette espèce, qui a été envoyée de Tallawan (Philippines) en 1861, par notre ami De la Gironière, a beaucoup d'analogie avec le L. gularis;
Nous a dédions à M. De la Gironière comme un hommage de l'intérêt qu'il porte à la science.
Falco Gironnierii Eydoux & Souleyet, 1841 OD here and plate
Palæornis Gironnieri J. Verreaux, J & E. Verreaux, 1853 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Black-chinned Fruit Dove ssp. Ptilinopus leclancheri gironieri J. Verreaux & Des Murs, 1862
Dr Paul Proust de la Gironière (1797–1862) was a French physician resident in the Philippines (1820–1861), where he was a pioneering agriculturist. He founded the town Breton aux Îles Philippines (1855).

The Key to Scientific Names
Dr Paul Proust de la Gironnière (1797-1862) French physician resident in the Philippines 1833-1861, founder of the town of Jalajala (syn. Microhierax erythrogenys, syn. Psittacula calthorpae, subsp. Ramphiculus leclancheri).

Ok we can find him here:

Born: 17. August 1797 in Vertou, Loire-Atlantique, Pays de la Loire, France
Death: 23. March 1862 Calauan, Laguna, Calabarzon, Philippines

I checked him only for additional names but in his birth record here p. 15 of 58 I could not identify an additional name. I woluld have expected something like 30 Fructidor année V. but it must be something like a Jour complémentaire which I am actually to stupid to interpret (and not 100% sure what's written there).

So not really news, but I though I share the birth record.

Last edited:
Ok we can find him here:

Born: 17. August 1797 in Vertou, Loire-Atlantique, Pays de la Loire, France
Death: 23. March 1862 Calauan, Laguna, Calabarzon, Philippines

I checked him only for additional names but in his birth record here p. 15 of 58 I could not identify an additional name. I woluld have expected something like 30 Fructidor année V. but it must be something like a Jour complémentaire which I am actually to stupid to interpret (an not 100% sure what's writtenthere).

(In the French Republican calendar, a year was made of 12 month that were all of 30 days (12 x 30 = 360 days), plus 5 (or 6 on leap years) "jours complémentaires" to reach a total of 365 (or 366 on leap years) days. These 'complementary' days were placed at the end of the year, after the 30 Fructidor (last day of the last month of the year) and before the 1 Vendémiaire (first day of the first month of the next year).)

He was born on 29 Thermidor an 5 (recorded on "trente Thermidor an cinq de la République française une et indivisible," but born "le jour d'hier sur les onze heures du soir"), which is 16 Aug 1797.
Note that "Gironière" takes only one n (as in the Eponym Dictionary), not two (as currently in the Key).
He received only one given name, Paul, indeed.

The data here seems more correct than what I see on the 'classical' genealogical sites.

Last edited:
Ptilinopus leclancheri gironieri (Verreaux, JP & des Murs, 1862) OD v.4=no.13-16 (1862) - Ibis - Biodiversity Heritage Library and plate v.4=no.13-16 (1862) - Ibis - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Cette espèce, qui a été envoyée de Tallawan (Philippines) en 1861, par notre ami De la Gironière...
Nous la dédions a M. De la Gironière comme un hommage de l'intérêt qu'il porte à la science.

Falco gironierii Eydoux et Souleyet, 1841 (not sure if the date of publication is correct) t.1:ptie.1 (1841) - Zoologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library plus (1841-1852) [Atlas] - Zoologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Cette jolie espèce provient de Luçon (îles Philippines). M. de la Gironnière, à qui nous la devons et à qui nous l'avons dédiée, nous a donné en même temps quelques détails relatifs à ses habitudes naturelles et à son genre de vie.

Palaeornis Gironnieri Verreaux, JP & Verreauy E, 1853 OD sér.2:t.5 (1853) - Revue et magasin de zoologie pure et appliquée - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Nous avons dédié cette belle espèce à notre ani, M, Lagironière, comme hommage dû à l'inérê qu'il a toujours pris à l'avancement des sciences en facilitant les naturalistes qui on visté les Philippines à poursuivir leurs recherches, chose que nous avons été à même d'apprécier nous-même, pendant notre séjour dans cette terre promise de l'histoire naturelle.

I have no idea if he was a doctor/physician (Dr.). His book Aventures d'un gentilhomme breton aux îles Philippines : avec un aperçu sur la géologie et la nature du sol de ces îles, sur ses habitants... / par P. de La Gironière,... ; illustrations d'après documents et croquis originaux par Henri Valentin (des Vosges) | Gallica

Last edited:
I have no idea if he was a doctor/physician (Dr.).

He was chirurgien de marine (= navy surgeon), i.a. according to his book.

That he was "resident in the Philippines 1833-1862" doesn't seem to describe his story very well, however.
The book is a narrative of his life in the Philippines from 1820 to 1838. In 1838, having lost successively his daughter, his first wife, and his son, he sold his property, and went back to France where he remarried. He did not return to the Philippines before 1857, almost two decades later.

Falco gironierii Eydoux et Souleyet, 1841 (not sure if the date of publication is correct)
Sorry I am just curious. Is the publication history of Voyage autour du monde executé pendant les années 1836 et 1837 sur la corvette La Bonite commandée par M. Vaillant (text and plates) somewhere analysed if e.g. Falco gironierrii was really published in 1841?

Last edited:
Sorry just I am curious. Is the publication history of Voyage autour du monde executé pendant les années 1836 et 1837 sur la corvette La Bonite commandée par M. Vaillant (text and plates) somewhere analysed if e.g. Falco gironierrii was really published in 1841?

I don't know of any recent deeper analysis, but according to the Richmond cards the following taxa are all attributed to Eydoux & Souleyet 1841 [and from the exact same work; Zoologie, Tome/Volume 1, Part 1 (Livr. 4)], all dated "Dec. 1841":
  • "Falco Gironnierii" (page 71, plate 1)
  • "Astrapia caronculata" (p. 83, pl. 4)
  • "Ixos Fisquetii" (p. 86, pl. 5)
  • "Phœnicophaus Barrotii" [*] (p. 89, pl. 6)
  • "Fulcia [sic] gigantea" (p. 102, pl. 8)
  • "Anser Hawaiiensis" (p. 104, pl. 10)
However, as this short list incl. (for example) today's Giant Coot Fulica gigantea Eydoux & Souleyet 1841 I assume "1841" ought to be correct.

For whatever it's worth.

/B

*listed as of/with single ending -i in the Key.

Sorry just I am curious. Is the publication history of Voyage autour du monde executé pendant les années 1836 et 1837 sur la corvette La Bonite commandée par M. Vaillant (text and plates) somewhere analysed if e.g. Falco gironierrii was really published in 1841?

See Zimmer 1926.
Birds are pp. 69-132 of Part 1 of the first zoology volume.
There has apparently been some uncertainty about the date of publication of Blainville's article on Chionis on pp. 107-132, which Sherborn thought to have been published later than the rest, while Zimmer did not support this view.
Part 1 was noticed in Bibliographie de la France on 18 Dec 1841 (here), and reported there to be an in-8° of 11.25 sheets. The main text is 132 pp, or 8.25 sheets; it is preceded by half-title and title pages (0.25 sheet), and 39 pp of text paged in Roman numerals, plus a blank page (2.5 sheets). This makes up a total of 11 sheets, which does not exceed the 11.25 sheets reported in Bibliogr. France, so I see not good reasons to think that the publication of a portion of the work was delayed.
I would date the entire bird text to 18 Dec 1841.

The atlas has only French names in it, hence is not relevant for the dating of scientific names.

Last edited:
Martin, also note that the dedicatee himself (of the/this "FAUCON DE LA GIRONNIÈRE. Falco Gironnierii, nob.") was repeatedly mentioned in those Books, as (nothing but) "M. [Monsieur] de la Gironnière" [in all cases written/typed with double-nn].

As well note (even if Non-Birds, of course) that later parts of this multi-parted work also incl. the Beetle "BRACHINE DE LA GIRONNIÈRE Brachinus Gironnierii, nobis." (here, with Plate here), as well as the Snail/Shell "CYCLOSTOME DE LA GIRONNIÈRE Cyclostoma Gironnierii, nobis" (here, with plate here).

That is, regardless of the fact that this/his name (apparently) seems to have ended in ... Gironière.

P. de la Gironière.jpg
Nice hat!

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back