• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pure Rock Dove? (1 Viewer)

Dougie Preston

I live for this S**T
This birds been hanging out with my "pure" Rock Doves for about a Month now.

It is structurally and behaviorally identical to them, and only the colour worries me. The bird is also unringed.

Do we have Feral Pigeons infiltrating the ranks, or is this just a melanistic or some how aberrant Rock Dove?

Attachments

• DSCF0962.JPG
    DSCF0962.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 255
Every colour variation you see in town pigeons comes from Rock Doves, so it's entirely possible this is a "pure" Rock Dove which happens to have this colouration naturally.

To me, they're all just pigeons ;)

I don't think there is any way of telling Dougie,one of the local farmers here has some fancy white doves and they keep trying to fly with the flock of rock doves feeding on the stubble at the moment.

The main reason I was wondering about this bird, is that we have had a few racing/feral birds passing through, but they are always obvious and never hang around long. They also don't seem to associate with the Rock Doves, but this one seems to have been accepted by them, as one of them!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back