• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple Finch? Cassin's Finch? Or?? (Los Angeles Mountains) (1 Viewer)

JohnKoerner007

Wildlife Photographer
Male | Female | Juvenile

Taken w/ Nikon Z6 + 800mm FL ED + 2x TC @ 1600mm

Border of LA & San Bernardino Counties, foothills of San Gabriel Mountains, today.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• _DSC3600-1.jpg
    _DSC3600-1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 45
  • _DSC3636-1.jpg
    _DSC3636-1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 45
  • _DSC3615-1.jpg
    _DSC3615-1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 49
The first one is Purple that other two are House.

Thanks for the response.

I've grown up with House Finches all my life ...

I agree the first is Purple ... I've never seen one before ... that hue + those markings. l'd wager the other two are also, because I've never seen "orange" like that before (with almost non-existent striping). These were all congregating together, no House Finch males anywhere ...

Totally different shade of red vs. purple (to my eyes, anyway).

Thanks.

PS: Nor with those white stripes by the eyes.

Last edited:
To me the first two are immature male & female Purple Finches.
The third one has me puzzled though.

Yeah, the first and second are definitely Purple Finches, but the second could be a young male (they don't get their purple color until the next year). Leaning oddly-colored Purple for the last one since the cheeks and wingbars seem to have color. The orange is likely due to diet. I'd like to see a side view of that one to be sure.

Some More Angles ...

Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated!

Here are some different angles of the orange-headed one…

I couldn't get a clear side-shot ... but these are the best it gave me before it flew-off.

Attachments

• _DSC3613-1.jpg
    _DSC3613-1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 19
  • _DSC3615-1.jpg
    _DSC3615-1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 12
  • _DSC3619-1.jpg
    _DSC3619-1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 11
  • _DSC3621-2.jpg
    _DSC3621-2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, the first and second are definitely Purple Finches, but the second could be a young male (they don't get their purple color until the next year). Leaning oddly-colored Purple for the last one since the cheeks and wingbars seem to have color. The orange is likely due to diet. I'd like to see a side view of that one to be sure.

I agree with all of this. I am pretty sure the third is another Purple as well.

Yep, it's a neat orange Purple Finch. FYI: A side view of the bill is helpful in differentiating Purple, Cassin's, and House Finches - House Finches have the most curved culmens out of all of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back