• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple finch or just another house finch? Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

eskandar

Canada
Novice birder here. The curved culmen and flank streaks make me think house finch, but I thought I'd ask anyway given the red on the back.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0938.JPG
    IMG_0938.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 43
I agree that this bird is richly colored, including the back, and it has a somewhat notched tail.

However, a Purple Finch should show much fewer flank streaks and a straighter culmen, as the OP stated.

Purple Finches appear almost completely dipped in red, often with a more pinkish hue than this bird. Even the wings and wing bars would be reddish-pink on a Purple Finch.

This looks like a male House Finch to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back