• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

PWLLHELI in September (1 Viewer)

Des!

I've got a weeks holiday in PWLLHELI - Can anyone reccommend places to go Birding?

Cheers!

Des

jogresh

Registered nutjob
Hi Des, that's a good area to bird in Sept, Pwllheli itself has a nice area of mud, i've seen Curlew Sands, Whimbrel, Greenshank etc at that time of the year. Nearby the Porthmadog area is even better, i've had Osprey, Hobby, Curlew Sand, Med Gull etc there in Sept with the chance of Whooper, Red Kite, Otter (after dark!) etc. Black Rock Sands has a few Velvet scoter, Scaup, Eider; Criccieth can be good in strong SW winds for Little Gull, chance of a skua while Porth Meudwy valley west of Aberdaron could have potential September scarcities like Firecrest, Hippolais warblers, Turtle Dove etc., Foryd Bay to the north on the way to Caernarfon is a bird-fest, then you've got Anglesey with Malltraeth, Point Lynas, Cemlyn; best bet is to check the Northwalesbirding website or get the Roberts and Davies site guide - be careful with the Helm WTWB some of the entries are sheer fantasy!
Hope you have a great trip.

Des!

Hi Des, that's a good area to bird in Sept, Pwllheli itself has a nice area of mud, i've seen Curlew Sands, Whimbrel, Greenshank etc at that time of the year. Nearby the Porthmadog area is even better, i've had Osprey, Hobby, Curlew Sand, Med Gull etc there in Sept with the chance of Whooper, Red Kite, Otter (after dark!) etc. Black Rock Sands has a few Velvet scoter, Scaup, Eider; Criccieth can be good in strong SW winds for Little Gull, chance of a skua while Porth Meudwy valley west of Aberdaron could have potential September scarcities like Firecrest, Hippolais warblers, Turtle Dove etc., Foryd Bay to the north on the way to Caernarfon is a bird-fest, then you've got Anglesey with Malltraeth, Point Lynas, Cemlyn; best bet is to check the Northwalesbirding website or get the Roberts and Davies site guide - be careful with the Helm WTWB some of the entries are sheer fantasy!
Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks For The Info!!! :t:

Cheshire Birder

As Jogresh says there is loads of place to go. Foryd Bay, Porth Meudwy and if they are running a boat day trip to bardsey. The coast is very underwatched, i stayed in a small caravan park at Pontllyfni. It was right next to the beach, had loads of waders on the beach and migrants in the scrub by the beach.

CB

Users who are viewing this thread